1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest, fastest growing and most progressive union in the United States, representing over 300,000 hospital, nursing home, homecare and human service workers. The members of 1199 SEIU are driven by a mission to achieve affordable, quality healthcare for all. We are currently looking for researchers based in New York City but are open to exceptional candidates in Baltimore or Boston.
The researcher will use a variety of skills to develop and implement public issues campaigns related to the union’s organizing goals. The overall work consists of performing in-depth research to understand health care providers’ operations, to detail employers’ practices, to track industry trends, and to guide the union’s relationships with other stakeholders. The researcher will summarize and interpret data from a variety of public and private sources including: regulatory filings, financial statements, cost reports and public health surveys. They will present complex issues/findings, both in writing and orally, to a range of audiences including government regulators, politicians, organizers, members and local and International Union staff/leaders.
Anyone with a passion for justice, a willingness to learn, solid quantitative skills, the ability to work hard and the drive to make a significant and measurable impact on the world is encouraged to apply.
Job Qualifications: Potential candidates should have the following skills:
- Bachelors degree minimum;
- Commitment to social and economic justice;
- An understanding of basic business, financial, legal, and political concepts;
- The ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to changing campaign requirements;
- Excellent critical thinking, communication, writing and quantitative skills;
- Solid computer skills, familiarity with databases and spreadsheet applications including Access and Excel; knowledge of SQL or other data manipulation or programming skills a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently.
Candidates with appropriate experience and expertise will be considered for Senior or Lead researcher positions.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.