Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York, Inc. (CCC) is a 74-year old non-profit, child advocacy organization whose mission is to ensure that every New York child is healthy, housed, educated and safe. Our unique approach to child advocacy is fact-based and relies on partnerships between our professional staff and our lay and professional volunteers. Reporting to the Associate Executive Director for Communications and Civic Engagement, the Communications Associate will be responsible for managing CCC’s integrated communications strategy which includes CCC’s online communications, web site, blog, social media and e-action network, as well as supporting CCC’s volunteer engagement, media, and marketing efforts. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated team player willing to take on additional responsibilities as needed aimed at educating and engaging New Yorkers in CCC’s efforts to make the city a better place for children.
Digital Content Management
- Performing ongoing content and design updates for CCC’s web site (org), writing and editing blogs, and developing related content for new and existing pages of the site;
- Writing, designing, HTML coding and deploying ongoing email communications, including newsletters, event invitations, policy and research updates;
- Collaborating with staff to identify, write and design daily posts across CCC’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- Establishing and maintaining an editorial calendar, a web analytics process, and social listening process across all platforms.
- Staying up to date on best practices for the various tools that CCC uses to operate its online communications platforms,
Mobilization & Engagement
- Planning and coordinating communications efforts aimed at expanding CCC’s network and increasing engagement through its social media platforms and e-action network;
- Exploring new opportunities to incorporate photos, videos and other interactive media into CCC’s communications strategies; exploring the potential of new platforms, such as LinkedIn and SMS texting technology for surveys;
- Collaborating with CCC staff and partners to organize periodic social media days of action, call-in days, e-advocacy campaigns, etc.
- Assisting in the communication and coordination for CCC community education events and advocacy opportunities such as Policy Briefings, advocacy days, volunteer engagement workshops, and other activities to be developed; managing outreach, attendance and other tasks as needed.
Public Relations & Marketing
- Reviewing key NYC media outlets each morning to identify news stories that will inform and support CCC’s media outreach, social media and research and advocacy.
- Assisting in the writing and distribution of press releases, media pitches, and other media outreach activities and helping to coordinate CCC’s response to inquiries from PR consultants, press and student journalists.
- Developing and coordinating distribution strategies of CCC’s reports and publications both electronically and in hard copy.
- Collaborating with staff across CCC to develop talking points, remarks, presentations, etc for media outreach, events, conferences, and other public appearances.
- Working in collaboration with CCC’s Communications and Development teams to develop print materials about CCC, including annual reports, fact sheets, cultivation packets, presentations, and more.
- Support the work of the Development team to plan, promote and execute CCC’s annual benefits and other fundraising activities including the Celebration Breakfast, CCC Celebrates at MoMA and the year-end appeal.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or another relevant field.
- Minimum of three years of applicable post-degree experience, preferably working in the field of advocacy, public affairs and/or communications or digital communications.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to receive and respond professionally to feedback on drafts of written documents.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral presentation skills in English. Additional fluency in Spanish or another language (g., Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Urdu) preferred.
- Experience with social media messaging and online communications platforms, and design tools such as WordPress, Salsa, and/or similar software necessary; experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and Google Ads.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (including Photoshop, InDesign), and/or data visualization tools, such as Tableau, a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to child and family issues.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample to Lorraine Tate, Executive Assistant, email@example.com
Citizens’ Committee for Children is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disabling condition.