The Association for Neighborhood & Housing Development (ANHD) is a member-association of community groups throughout New York City working to ensure the right to affordable housing and thriving equitable neighborhoods for all New Yorkers.
The harassment and displacement tenants are experiencing across the city undermines affordability, fuels gentrification, and exacerbates inequality. ANHD seeks an Anti-Displacement Organizer to work with community-based grassroots organizers and tenant leaders to fight back.
The Anti-Displacement Organizer will work with tenant organizers and others to support the use of data and educational tools to improve building outreach and organizing approaches to combat tenant harassment and landlord speculation; ensure the successful local implementation of the new Certificate of No Harassment pilot program; and facilitate peer learning among organizers and tenant leaders. The person in this position will also provide general support for tenants’ rights and anti-displacement organizing campaigns led by ANHD and/or movement allies.
• Lead ANHD’s efforts to successfully implement the NYC Certificate of No Harassment (CONH) Pilot Program
o Coordinate efforts by member and allied grassroots organizing groups to use the CONH law to fight harassment in rent stabilized buildings
o Document & publicize tenants’ experiences with harassment in general, and CONH in particular
o Coordinate education, outreach & advocacy with elected officials, agency staff, and other stakeholders
o Work with organizers and other stakeholders to track results of CONH pilot program and build case for the program’s continuation & improvement
• Work with ANHD members and allies to make strategic use of available housing data tools & resources
o Convene & facilitate meetings among organizers and tenant leaders to share experiences & improve organizing models addressing specific issues such as speculation
o Conduct trainings on tools such as ANHD’s Displacement Alert Project Map, District Reports, and Watch List
o Assess the needs for new housing data tools and educational materials among ANHD members, elected officials & other stakeholders
o Coach ANHD members, allies, elected officials & others to successfully make use of existing & new data tools & resources to improve their tenant organizing & service work
• Help represent ANHD in tenant movement coalitions & campaigns
o Participate in meetings, events, lobbying, etc. for campaigns to strengthen tenants’ rights
o Help connect ANHD members to campaigns relevant to their local tenant organizing priorities
o Seek opportunities to use ANHD’s communications, data, policy and advocacy work to support member and allied organizations’ campaigns
• At least 3-5 years grassroots organizing experience in housing, community organizing, labor, or related fields
• Familiarity with NYC affordable housing landscape and tenant issues, particularly as relates to harassment and displacement
• Ability to develop strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and partners, including tenant leaders, organizers, policy experts, elected officials, agency staff, etc.
• Experience creating & using popular education style materials & training curricula
• Interest in working in a highly collaborative environment, and ability to independently keep projects moving
• Comfort juggling responsibilities & prioritizing across multiple projects
• Demonstrated ability to work with low income communities of color & immigrant communities
• A belief in grassroots organizing as a vehicle to build power to address systemic inequality and injustice
ANHD is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ-identified individuals are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter and a brief writing sample (preferably a handout, training curriculum, or other similar tool) to Emily.email@example.com. No calls please.