Associated Musicians of Greater New York, American Federation of Musicians Local 802 is the largest local union of professional musicians in the world. We unite to fight for the common interests of all musicians by advancing industry standards that dignify our labor and honor and enrich our art. We seek to organize a community of all musicians and aspiring musicians, and we reach out to all who share our interests and our passion. We are committed to upholding the integrity of musical performance and to advancing the vital role of music in education, and in the economic, cultural and social life of our community and beyond. We advocate for economic and social justice for musicians and for society as a whole. (www.local802afm.org)
· Talk with musicians in 1-1 conversations for both internal and external organizing campaigns
· Work individually and on a team to assess organizing targets
· Complete strategic research as part of a comprehensive organizing campaign
· Develop member leaders on advisory and organizing committees
· Develop and implement strategic organizing plans
· Assist musicians and union leadership in negotiating collective bargaining agreements
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (including Outlook, Excel, and One Drive) and Google docs
· Ability to learn new database programs for data entry and report lookups
· 1+ year of experience as a union and/or community organizer
· Commitment to social justice and workers’ rights
· Ability to work on multiple projects at a time
· Experience as a musician and/or music enthusiast is helpful
· Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
· Background with or working knowledge of entertainment unions is a plus
Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends as needed. This is a bargaining unit position and compensation will be commensurate with experience in line with the staff collective bargaining agreement.
Local 802 AFM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability status any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Health benefits: Vacation, personal and sick days
Retirement savings benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
English – Fluent/Full Professional Proficiency required
Spanish – Professional Working Proficiency is a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send an email with the subject line “Union Organizer” to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter.