North Bay Jobs with Justice is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Lead Organizer. Position open until filled.
North Bay Jobs with Justice is a long-term, strategic alliance of labor, faith, immigrant rights, civil rights, and community-based organizations working together to build a progressive movement for economic and social justice. North Bay Jobs with Justice is based upon a direct action model of solidarity and reciprocity and we organize strategic campaigns in the common interests of our broad-based membership. Campaigns include: the right to organize, living and minimum wage, immigrant rights, racial and gender justice, community benefits, health care for all, food and environmental justice, affordable housing, addressing wage theft. State and local policy initiatives are an important component of the work of North Bay Jobs with Justice. The organization is affiliated with the national Jobs with Justice network and based in Sonoma and Marin counties with an office in Santa Rosa.
General Responsibilities of the Lead Organizer:
- Reports to the Executive Director to help carry out tactics and daily duties as needed in conjunction with the priority issues and campaigns set by the Executive Committee and Steering Committee;
- Build consensus on common goals and priorities among diverse community members impacted by our campaigns and community organizations that represent them;
- Under the direction and guidance of the Executive Director, develop strategic direct-action campaigns for economic and social justice; coordinate campaign implementation, mobilization, and evaluation;
- Support Jobs with Justice committees relevant to your projects that are the foundation of the chapter by providing logistical support, facilitating communication and coordination between committees and developing agendas and campaign materials;
- Encourage, foster, and develop the skills of interested members of coalition organizations to play leading roles in strategic campaigns, committees, and building the organization;
- Maintain and develop a bilingual social media presence for the organization;
- Serve as the liaison of North Bay Jobs with Justice at community meetings, student meetings/events, or any meetings/events where we are asked to speak, when called to do so.
Administration, Fundraising, & Volunteer Management
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Co-Chairs, build and maintain relationships with foundations and major donors as needed
- Support the grant writing and fundraising of the organization;
- Support and collaborate with the fundraising committee to initiate and plan fundraising events throughout the year and sustain a monthly donor program;
- Help build and sustain a new individual membership program by helping to recruit and retain volunteers most impacted by our campaigns;
- Support, train and mentor volunteers and interns.
Key Qualities and Competencies
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Spanish required;
- Strong commitment to and understanding of worker justice and the labor movement, gender and racial justice, immigrant justice, and the importance of an intersectional social justice movement;
- 2-3 years experience labor, student or community organizing including base building, leadership development, volunteer management and event/action planning; this may include volunteer experience or participation in campaigns as a rank and file organizer or member of another organization;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse organization;
- Ability to work effectively within immigrant communities, LGBQ and Trans communities, and communities of color;
- Knowledge, skill, and experience in developing and leading effective campaign strategy;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and experience or the ability to learn GoogleDrive, ActionNetwork and other applications;
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed; effective time management skills a plus;
- Valid driver’s license by job start date.
Additional qualifications and skills desired
- Basic experience and skills in canvassing and phone banking;
- Experience leading a team of staff, interns or volunteers;
- Experience with coalition based organizing;
- Teaching or training experience;
- Knowledge and participation with Jobs with Justice;
- Fundraising experience.
Starting annual salary of $48,000-$50,000 depending on experience with annual cost of living increases; fully paid health and dental benefits; paid leave and sick time (vacation accrual after passage of probation); 13 paid holidays; option to join OPEIU. Moving and relocation assistance provided if needed.
Submit cover letter and resume with 3 references (1 work reference minimum) to: North Bay Jobs with Justice, PO Box 427 Santa Rosa, CA 95402 or email email@example.com with the subject line “Lead Organizer Application”
North Bay Jobs with Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage youth, people of color, women, LBGTQ, and differently-abled people to apply.