ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. Successes include the “Trades and Residents for Apprenticeship Development and Economic Success” (TRADES) project, which has created over 300 careers in construction for local public housing residents through New York City Public Housing Authority capital repairs; securing one of the nation’s first municipal green buildings policies, which has eliminated over 200,000 metric tons of harmful greenhouse gas emissions; and anchoring the Alliance for a Just Rebuilding and achieving a the Build it Back local hiring program in Sandy-impacted communities. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented, motivated, and dedicated researcher to join our team as Senior Policy & Research Analyst. This is an exciting time to join our staff and be engaged in building an ambitious organization at the forefront of innovative policy, organizing and communications efforts in New York.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Policy & Research Analyst will report to the Campaign Director and is responsible for:
- Campaign research and policy development: Develop research plans and timelines. Design, conduct, and manage qualitative and quantitative research including literature reviews, surveys, and in-depth interviews. Work closely with a broad range of stakeholders both at the grassroots and leadership levels to develop, drive, and win campaigns.
- Coordination of issue tracking and analysis: Follow and analyze current labor, economic, and environmental statistics from sources such as the US Census Bureau, NYS Department of Labor, and NYC & NYC Comptrollers. Track job, sustainability, and economic development issues at city council, state legislature, government agencies, and through reviewing public documents.
- Policy papers and research briefs: Create written reports and other materials that are accessible to key audiences such as community & union leaders, policy makers, funders and the broader public. Partner with communications staff to disseminate research findings to our partners, the media, and the public.
- Public advocacy: Play a leadership role in the design and implementation of meetings, conferences, and press briefings. Interface with elected and public agency officials to achieve organizational priorities. Use data analysis, primary and secondary research, and best-practice policy analysis to support campaigns and shift debate on local
and statewide job creation and economic development issues.
- Organizational development: Create proposals for organization-wide research and campaign development models, provide input on organizational strategic planning, and support organizational fundraising. Check-in weekly and support the work of the Policy & Research Associate. Represent the organization within the New York social justice movement, our state alliance and national networks.
Qualifications: A commitment to social and economic justice and the labor movement; Minimum 3 years professional policy and research experience working in nonprofit, political, or labor organizations; Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, supervise junior staff, and work as part of a team; Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills; Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment; Willingness to work long hours, evenings and weekends when necessary; Ability to work independently.
Terms of Employment: Senior Policy & Research Analyst is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy which accompanies this Job Description.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Policy & Research Analyst” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.