Pratt Area Community Council DBA IMPACCT BROOKLYN is a not-for-profit, membership-based community development corporation in its fifth decade. We combine tenant and community organizing, tenant and homeowner services, affordable housing development and management, and economic development to improve the Brooklyn communities.
The Community Organizer works with our team on housing and tenant rights campaigns with a particular focus on organizing tenants in distressed, overleveraged and rent-regulated buildings as necessary. Developing leaders and educating tenants to advocate for the preservation of affordable housing is also a main focus area for the Community Organizer. Other tasks include one-on-one tenant counseling and case management, base-building, as well as maintaining client databases as required under IMPACCT’s housing contracts. The organizer will work within existing coalitions and with the IMPACCT Leadership Group. This position reports to the Director of Organizing.
- Maintain databases of client intakes and counseling as required reporting under IMPACCT’s housing contracts
- Organize tenant associations to advocate for, preserve and protect tenants in rent-regulated buildings facing foreclosure, predatory equity, tenant harassment or other tenant-landlord issues
- Work with a network of residents and active tenant associations to preserve affordable housing
- Collaborate with other local and city-wide organizations to advocate for solutions to the loss of affordable housing
- Create written materials and flyers for the organizing department
- Prepare written reports as required
- Work closely with Lead Organizer and oversee volunteers
- Minimum of 2 years organizing experience, experience with case management a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer savvy – experience using online mapping tools, social media and data analysis a plus
- Ability to relate to and motivate people from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to social change and community empowerment
- Willingness to work evenings and some weekend hours
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Bi-lingual (Spanish strongly preferred)
- Knowledge of Brooklyn and housing issues preferred
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk and hear.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and as needed for evenings and weekends. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Interested candidates should email a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. ONLY THOSE OFFERED INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.
PACC is an Equal Opportunity Employer Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Pratt Area Community Council, Inc. (PACC) is a community-based, non-profit community development corporation established in 1964 with a mission to build an equitable, diverse, engaged, and flourishing community in Brooklyn.