Clinton Housing Development Company (CHDC) is a non-profit organization committed to developing permanent affordable housing throughout the Manhattan neighborhoods of Chelsea and Hell’s Kitchen. Since CHDC’s origins in 1973, CHDC has been equally committed to developing and integrating community and green space with affordable housing.
The Department of Community Cultivation at CHDC is responsible for the design and maintenance of all gardens and green space including community gardens and parks, coordination of all community engagement and outreach and projects with community partners as well as tenant and staff events.
Nature of Work
CHDC is seeking a committed, dynamic community engagement coordinator to build neighborhood connections and coordinate community building events throughout the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood. Applicants must be deeply committed to grass roots organizing and building partnerships around housing, greening, open space, urban agriculture, sustainability and health. The Community Engagement Coordinator will work closely with the Deputy Director of Community Cultivation to design and coordinate events, develop and oversee programming and plan and coordinate community wide events. This Community Engagement Coordinator will also assist the Community Events Coordinator in organizing activities, events and holiday celebrations for our tenants residing in supportive housing.
- Plan new and innovative ways to increase community awareness and engagement around CHDC & CultivateHKNY’s public green spaces.
- Develop and maintain a wide range of community partnerships
- Assist in organizing new initiatives, including community gardens and neighborhood parks
- Serve as a liaison to the Hell’s Kitchen Farm Project and CSA (community supported agriculture) program
- Design programs jointly with CHDC senior staff; oversee program implementation and facilitation
- Represent CultivateHKNY and CHDC at various community outreach meetings, sharing information and cultivating invested partners and stakeholders
- Build, manage and supervise a volunteer core, including youth programming
- Maintain volunteer database and email lists
- Manage social media for CHDC, CultivateHKNY and related projects
- Create and publish internal and external newsletters
- Bachelors Degree in related field and/or equivalent life experience
- 2-5 years of experience in community organizing and movement building
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Passion for community building, urban green space and healthy living
- Experience working with youth
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities
- Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills
- Experience with or willingness to learn social media and online publishing
- Design and graphic experience a plus
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Energetic, motivated and hardworking
- Flexibility and sense of humor
Deputy Director of Community Cultivation
Interns and volunteers
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline August 31, 2016