Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation (CHLDC), a dynamic, non-profit, holistic, community development organization serving the Cypress Hills/East New York neighborhood in Brooklyn, seeks an experienced community development professional passionate about affordable housing, economic development and sustainability to oversee the asset management of CHLDC’s real estate portfolio. As part of both our affordable housing development and Cypress Hills Verde initiatives,the incumbent will be working to make our neighborhood a greener, healthier, more affordable place to live.
Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation has an opening for one (1) full-time Projects Manager in the Community Development division.
As a member of the Community Development team, the incumbent will participate in the overall work of the Community Development department, including supporting the development of green affordable housing and development, the retrofitting of residential and commercial buildings in Cypress Hills and East New York, brownfield re-development, and agency-wide sustainability initiatives. The position involves working on community development program, projects and initiatives, ranging from pre-development analysis and activities, to managing the repositioning of CHLDC’s portfolio, overseeing major capital repairs and renovation work on CHLDC properties, working on sustainability and energy efficiency initiatives in the Cypress Hills/East New York neighborhood, and supporting some asset and property management of the CHLDC portfolio.
This work requires a highly motivated and creative self-starter who welcomes working in a fast-paced environment. The Property Projects Manager will report to the Director of Community Development and is responsible for the below job responsibilities:
- Support and manage all aspects of the predevelopment process.
- Collaborate with funders, architects, attorneys, environmental consultants, representatives of public agencies and contractors.
- Draft, revise, and regularly update development and operating budgets for affordable housing and economic development projects.
- Support Director in developing acquisition strategies.
- Support BOA -grant programming and development related work.
- Lead or Support, as appropriate, community development grants and programming.
- Oversee design and construction process with architects, consultants and contractors.
- Handle ongoing monitoring, requisition and compliance of projects under construction.
- Identify new community development opportunities and funding sources, conduct feasibility analyses (including financial analyses) and prepare applications for funding.
- Research and report on CDC development strategies and best practices, including research and development of innovative real estate development partnership structures (private and non-profit collaborations).
- Contribute expertise to property management company; work with asset manager to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, achievement of energy efficiency standards, and excellent tenant relations.
- Write [draft and edit] real estate development grant proposals and funding reports; develop relationships with potential affordable housing and real estate development funders.
- Participate in cross-departmental projects.
- M.S. degree in Finance, Public Administration, Urban Planning, Urban Affairs, Architecture, Engineering or related degree;
- 1-3 years community development, project planning experience;
- Experience creating and/or managing a project or project(s) in at least one of the following areas: affordable housing development, weatherization/retrofits, or renovation projects preferable;
- Experience effectively managing outside consultants (e.g. architects, general contractors, technical assistance providers, etc.);
- Architecture/design/engineering/construction skills and/or experience and a familiarity of green building policy, methods and materials, including energy efficiency retrofits (a plus);
- Excellent communication, writing and analytical abilities and strong interpersonal skills – experience working with low-income communities, immigrant communities and other communities of color a plus;
- Ability to think big while also meeting deadlines and paying close attention to details;
- Demonstrates commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change.
- Possesses strong self-initiative and passionate about community development, energy efficiency, affordable housing, economic development and sustainability;
- Bilingual (Spanish-English) preferred.
Dependent upon experience. We also offer a very competitive benefits package.
How to apply:
Please send customized cover letter and resume to Shai Lauros at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Three (3) written and signed reference letters will be required if chosen for the position.
CYPRESS HILLS LOCAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND IS COMMITTED TO WORKPLACE DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.