Made In NYC (MINYC), an initiative of the Pratt Center for Community Development, was created to support a vibrant manufacturing sector in New York City. Local manufacturing creates employment opportunities for New York’s extraordinarily diverse workforce and gives the city much of its character and soul. Launched in 2001, MINYC assists manufacturing businesses in growing their companies, encourages New Yorkers to buy locally made products, and provides sourcing assistance for designers and manufacturers to purchase goods and fabricate designs locally. Close to 1,300 companies are listed on the MINYC website. MINYC’s recent achievements include:
• A new website launched in 2013 that features detailed profiles of member businesses as well as
information of interest to manufacturers and their advocates (see madeinnyc.org);
• Brand and logo redesign in 2013 that is widely used by members on products and websites;
• Growing membership currently comprising over 1300 manufacturers that represent all major industrial
and manufacturing sectors in NYC;
• Successful events with high-profile partners to raise awareness and support for local manufacturing, including website launch event with fashion designer Nanette Lepore and Factory Friday tours with Open House NY;
• Sourcing requests and successful matches that have driven sales to manufacturers;
• The development of an advisory board of manufacturers that have invested resources and time in program development;
• News blasts and other outreach featuring data and information about manufacturing businesses and trends.
With the generous support of the New York City Council, Pratt Center intends to dramatically increase awareness of manufacturing in NYC over the next several years. This will be accomplished through development of the MINYC brand, website, and related programmatic initiatives and educational activities, and by assisting companies in improving their marketing and capacity for growth.
The Program Director (PD) now sought by Pratt Center will be responsible for the development and implementation of projects, events and activities that push MINYC towards these goals. Working collaboratively with a core group of Pratt Center senior staff (Director, Deputy Director, Development Director and Senior
Planner) as well as resources which might be available through Pratt Institute, the PD will pursue several directives pre-set by Pratt’s leadership team:
• Develop and implement MINYC’s Branding and Marketing approach in order to greatly expand public awareness of the brand, grow the number of members, and dramatically increase website visits among consumers and businesses;
• Expand the sourcing assistance, marketing and other services offered to MINYC members to enhance NYC manufacturing businesses and help them promote themselves, increase sales, and grow;
• Establish a framework for evaluating outcomes of these initiatives, including specific equity-related impacts;
• Develop a business plan for the growth of MINYC over the next 3 years, including exploration of a fee structure to generate revenue for the program.
The PD will be responsible for the planning and delivery of all MINYC activities, including marketing and communications activities, service provision, website maintenance and updates, growing the membership, and overseeing consultants who will develop marketing and business plans. The PD will coordinate MINYC’s efforts with other areas of Pratt Center’s programs, communications, fundraising, and program development.
This is a full time staff position, and while city funded initiatives are always contingent on approval of a Council appropriation each year, we expect successful completion of the scope of services will lead to renewal. Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Strategic development of marketing and business plans for MINYC, including oversight of consultants, and implementation of a work plan to achieve goals;
• Plan and oversee the implementation of MINYC’s public relations and communications efforts;
• Oversee service delivery to MINYC members such as sourcing assistance, marketing design extension services (potentially with Pratt Institute faculty and students), and other services to be determined;
• Plan, develop and initiate marketing and promotional activities such as factory tours and other events;
• Collaborate with the Development Director and other staff in fundraising efforts for MINYC’s activities;
• Oversee day-to-day operations of the MINYC website, including news postings, updating member profiles, improving visuals, etc.
• Collaborate with Pratt Center staff on data analysis of MINYC members, research and analysis of manufacturing sectors and trends, and other efforts that support Pratt Center’s economic
development policy agenda;
• Work strategically with a diverse range of partners, especially business owners and workers, philanthropic foundations, elected officials, public agencies, trade associations, interested civic
organizations, and particularly with Local Development Corporations that manage Industrial Business Zones;
• Supervise a full time MINYC Program Associate (to be hired), Graduate Fellows and Interns;
• Work with faculty and staff of Pratt Institute in departments that have relevant courses such as graphic communications, packaging, video production, etc.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
We seek a highly organized, media savvy, entrepreneurial self-starter with excellent people skills and an academic or professional background that is related to communications, marketing, public relations, and/or urban planning, economic development or urban manufacturing. The ideal candidate will have:
• Four + years of experience and demonstrated expertise in more than one of the disciplines relevant to MINYC’s goals and objectives: business strategy; entrepreneurship; marketing and communications; organizational development; public relations and media management; small business development; urban planning; and workforce/economic development, in positions of progressively increasing responsibility;
• Strong marketing and media relations interest, experience and skills;
• Community, political, and/or media organizing experience;
• The ability to work strategically, in both leadership and supportive roles, with a diverse range of partners;
• Excellent writing and public presentation skills;
• Experience with design and management of websites / digital platforms;
• Facility with relevant computer and social media applications;
• Event planning, fundraising, and personnel management experience;
• An outstanding work ethic, a collaborative spirit, and a good sense of humor.
Master’s degree in business administration, communications, marketing, public policy, urban planning, or another related field; or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus five years of professional experience.
Applicants are to email a cover letter, resume, and sample of original work (writing or graphic design sample; media campaign sample; or other relevant original work) to email@example.com. Please put “MINYC Program Director” in the Subject of your email. (Note that applicants may be asked later to visit the Pratt Institute website to fill out a brief application.)
Applicants are to include an answer to the following question in their cover letter:
What social marketing or cause marketing campaign have you found to be particularly compelling and effective, and why? How might MINYC fit into or not fit into the cause marketing framework? Please note that incomplete submissions (i.e., without a cover letter, resume, work sample, or answer to the above question) will not be considered.
This position will remain open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE