Apprenticeship & Non-Traditional Employment for Women (ANEW) is a 35 year old pre- non-profit organization headquartered in Renton, Washington. ANEW’s mission is to provide women of all ages, races, and backgrounds with quality training, support services, and employment preparation services; leading to a viable and satisfying career pathway to family wage jobs.
Although women are ANEW’s primary target population, ANEW strives to increase diversity and inclusion for all underrepresented populations. Additionally, ANEW partners and works with multiple state registered apprenticeship programs, businesses, labor, workforce development organizations, and colleges in order to successfully carry out its mission.
POSITION TITLE: Executive Director
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for ANEW’s staff, programs, expansion and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations and business plans. S/he will manage staff and contractors at multiple locations and in multiple grants. S/he will demonstrate excellent writing, speaking, supervisory and financial and fundraising skills.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications and system; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize ANEW’s board members, alumni and partnering organizations
- Lead, coach, develop and retain ANEW’s high performance staff
- Ensure effective systems to track program process and grant deliverables; evaluate program components and measure successes so impact can be effectively communicated to board members, funders and other constituents
- Serve as primary connector/presenter with funding agents and partners; present program, grant or partnership information in a variety of environments to constituents
- Develop or possess strong relationships with leadership in the apprenticeship community
- Oversee special projects, such as conferences, leadership trainings, or short term contracts/assignments
Fundraising and Financial Oversight
- Lead and manage all revenue generating activities, which includes, grant writing, contract negotiations, individual gift campaigns, and the acquisition of corporate sponsorships; including managing, and reporting all gifts, grants and contracts
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion
- Report to funding sources on qualitative and quantitative impact per funding guidelines
- Adherence to GAAP principles in oversight of budgets and general operational/financial functions
- Ensure multiple programs adhere to grant/funding guidelines, program competencies, etc
- Ensure reporting on deliverables is maintained according to grant, contract or donor guidelines
- Interact with partners and funding agents on strategic activities, programs and special projects
- Oversee all aspects of a small agency team per Employment Handbook and agency policies
- Resolve conflict and manage team operations, reporting and client interactions in a fast-paced environment
- Prepare and/or approve employee job descriptions, classifications, pay rates, payroll, administrative functions, leave, and other supervisory functions in a small work environment
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, including web presence, newsletters, and platforms such as Facebook, blogs
- Communicate ANEW’s impact in annual reports, at conferences, and with a variety of constituents
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Planning & New Business:
- Design strategic expansion efforts and business plans
- Build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with public and private funders, donors, community and political leaders
- Be an external presence and represent ANEW and its interests in a variety of meetings
- The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to ANEW’s non-profit mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Advanced degree, MBA or MPA preferred, and at least 10 years management experience. Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next level of growth
- 5+ years in development, grant writing and fund raising with proven outcomes
- Knowledge of apprenticeship system, industrial sectors in the Puget Sound
- Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage multiple budgets
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including ability to create and edit documents in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) Typing ability of at least is 45 WPM may be required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal and excellent customer relations skills.
- Good writing, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and application of organization, planning, records management and general administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Background screening through Washington State Patrol
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include evening and or weekend
- Valid Washington State Drivers License, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation
- Proof of citizenship or other authorization for employment
- Continuation of employment is contingent upon successfully performing work described herein
- Continuation of this position is dependent on achievement of performance goals and availability of funding
Work Location: ANEW Administration office –Renton and Satellite locations as assigned
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday and occasional evening and weekends.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Anticipated Start Date: November/early December 2015
This position is paid an annual salary of $70-80k DOE. This is an exempt position, Monday through Friday and occasional evening or weekend work. This position requires the ability to travel statewide and nationally. This position is grant funded and continuation of this position is subject to obtainment of contract deliverables, funding restrictions such as penalties for nonperformance, project evaluations, and achievement of performance goals and availability of funding.
Employer paid benefits include: Medical, Dental and Vision.
A portion of the medical premium is made by the employee through a pre-tax contribution at time of payroll posting. Employees at 30/hours week or greater qualify for full benefits and pay a pre-tax contribution of $80 per month. Employees who work less than 20 hours per week are not eligible for paid benefits. Additional employer paid benefits include: basic life insurance, vacation, sick leave, holiday pay and taxes as required by law. Employees may elect to make contributions to a non-employer sponsored 403(b) retirement plan.
Eligible applicants should submit current resume; references including at least 1 external partner; current or former employee; and supervisor/Board member; and cover letter demonstrating experience in these FIVE areas:
- non-profit work;
- fundraising and development;
- financial oversight; including grant management
- partnership development; and
- staff oversight.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2015 VIA EMAIL ONLY – NO EXCEPTIONS. Applications not following these procedures will not be considered.
Please email resume and cover letter to: ANEW Board of Directors Attention: Keith Weir firstname.lastname@example.org
Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Employment for Women (ANEW) is an equal opportunity employer.