Democracy Now! seeks an experienced producer/journalist to join our team as a News Producer. This person will write headlines, research stories, book guests and help shape editorial content for the newscast and website. They must have impeccable news judgment, be an avid news consumer, thrive in the fast pace of live daily news, be an excellent writer and copyeditor for broadcast and web, have a good eye for editorial visuals and have a passion for Democracy Now! and independent news. They should also have a good sense of humor and work well in a team.
This position includes some shifts starting at 5:30am ET to produce the live broadcast at 8am as well as occasional travel.
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV & Radio newscast that is carried by nearly 1,400 stations worldwide. Our website, democracynow.org, gets tens of millions of page views annually and we have more than a million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high-quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
- Write headlines (news briefs) for the daily broadcast
- Research and pitch stories and headlines
- Write and edit scripts under deadline
- Identify, research, book & pre-interview guests
- Select compelling audio, video and graphics to enhance stories and headlines
- Provide show briefs to hosts, producers and crew
- Edit content for web and post stories to website
- Follow news developments throughout the day
- Support production of occasional on-air fundraising programs for public TV and radio stations
- Help maintain editorial calendar
- Other duties as needed.
- 3+ years journalism or news producing experience
- Impeccable news judgment
- Well acquainted with Democracy Now!
- Live broadcast news experience strongly preferred
- Avid global and domestic news consumer
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills
- Proven ability to work under tight, high-pressure deadlines
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with content management systems
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced news environment
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
This is a full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ-identified people are encouraged to apply.
Applications must be received no later than July 22, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting July 1, so apply soon for early consideration. To apply, please submit the following. No phone calls.
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
- A portfolio link or work sample
- The names and contact information for two references
- A cover letter that addresses the following points:
1. Why are you a good fit for this position?
2. How did you discover Democracy Now!?
3. What Democracy Now! story or coverage do you find particularly interesting?