AFM Local 47 is the Los Angeles affiliate of the American Federation of Musicians, an international labor union of musicians across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a new full-time Communications Coordinator who will work directly with our Communications Director to assist with graphic design, website, social media pages, email newsletters, print and electronic communications, and photography.
The Communications Coordinator will fulfill graphic design and photography needs of all Local 47 publications and internal and external communications materials, including our monthly print publication Overture, bimonthly email newsletter The Local 47 Beat. Future long-term projects include building apps and developing a texting program for both member communications and internal communications.
We seek a candidate who not only knows media and new media, but also has good people skills and is a great communicator.
Create and design graphics for internal (in-house forms, business cards, etc.) and external (brochures, advertisements, posters, banners, etc.) use. Required skills:
· Ability to create and/or format graphics for print and web.
· Excellent command of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign.
· Experience with branding, logo design, and advertisement creation.
Be “the voice” of AFM Local 47 via web-based media. Required skills:
· Excellent command of Facebook/Twitter (using hashtags, accruing followers, etc.).
· Familiar with other realms of Social Media (LinkedIn, YouTube, apps, etc.).
· Knowledge of viral online marketing strategies.
· Ability to brainstorm and compile newsworthy items utilizing resources from Local 47, AFM, labor unions, and news outlets relating to musicians/union members in general.
Assist the Communications Director with all outbound Local 47 print media, including big projects (monthly member newspaper Overture, annual Member Directory book, annual Wage Scale book, etc.) and miscellaneous smaller projects (advertisements, brochures, etc.). Required skills:
· Excellent written communication skills.
· Brainstorm and execute creative marketing campaigns, including web and print advertising and direct mail.
Duties: Assist Communications Director to create and format material for bi-monthly email newsletter and various intermediate email campaigns using Mailchimp email client.
· Excellent command of English language and AP Style to write concise news items.
· Ability to design graphic elements on a tight deadline.
Regularly maintain and update existing website. Required skills:
· Strong command of Dreamweaver, WordPress, and using FTP.
· Basic HTML/CSS skills.
· Able to create fillable PDF forms using Adobe Acrobat Professional.
· Strong understanding of web and interactive design fundamentals.
· Must be technically experienced.
· Proficient in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat Professional, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Dreamweaver, basic HTML/CSS skills, and knowledgeable in using online media platforms (e.g. social media).
· Must have a strong command of AP Style.
· Degree in Graphic Design, Media or related field preferred.
· Minimum of 2 years professional experience with emphasis graphic design or marketing.
· Strong sense of good elements of design and layout skills.
· Creative problem-solving skills, versatile and energetic.
· Flexible, detailed and deadline-oriented having to juggle a multitude of projects under time constraints.
· Must enjoy working collaboratively as well as independently.
· Self-disciplined; ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
Salary: Commensurate with background, experience, and education.
Contact: Gary Lasley, Secretary/Treasurer, AFM Local 47