The NWBCCC is a 40-year old broad-based social justice community organization that unites individuals and institutions to fight for better neighborhoods and for social, economic, environmental, and racial justice. NWBCCC is a membership-based organization that uses direct action community organizing to address affordable housing, public education, immigrant rights, youth, voting rights, economic development and jobs issues, and to fight for broader policy change in these and other areas.
We seek to hire a dynamic community organizer to work on housing issues. We are committed to fighting for decent healthy affordable housing for the people of the Northwest Bronx, and for all New Yorkers. Healthy housing, for us, includes a commitment to encouraging greater energy efficiency, to save money, protect our environment, and protect the respiratory health of Bronx residents. We believe that our organizing work should be led by our members, and that developing leadership is a key responsibility of our organizers. Thus, the organizer’s main responsibilities will be to:
• Support the continued development of the NWBCCC Healthy Green Housing Committee
• Conduct strategic tenant organizing of multi-family buildings
• Base-building through membership recruitment of community and faith-based institutions
• Leadership development to build capacity of community leaders and members
• Run local housing campaigns that target problem landlords, lenders and policies that contribute to deteriorating housing conditions.
• Coordinate participation of community leaders in city, state and federal housing campaigns
• Assist in writing reports to current housing funders and assist with grant development
• Attend weekly staff meetings and training opportunities
Minimum one year experience in organizing
Demonstrated commitment and passion for social justice and understanding of community organizing approach to social change.
Fluency in Spanish and English.
Have strong writing, communication and negotiation skills
Strong interest in and ability to work with diverse groups
Ability to work nights and weekends as necessary
Competitive salary, based on experience. Excellent benefits, including health and dental and life insurance, tax-sheltered retirement plan, and vacation. Excellent training in community organizing and professional development opportunities.
Send resumes and cover letter to: Housing@northwestbronx.org