Emerald Cities Cleveland—a collaborative of local government, business, labor, environmental and community organizations—is part of the national 501(c)3 Emerald Cities Collaborative working across the country to advance a sustainable economy and opportunity for all.
Emerald Cities Cleveland promotes clean energy, more efficient use of energy and water, good jobs, union labor, and pathways out of poverty for disadvantaged communities. As a leader in advancing clean, equitable, sustainable development in greater Cleveland, Emerald Cities Cleveland’s past major accomplishments include: Collaborating with partners to launch the Cuyahoga County Sustainability Department and Clean Energy Finance Hub; developing the nationally-recognized RENEW Cuyahoga program to foster energy efficient retrofits of municipal buildings; and, sparking a $1.9 million municipal retrofit for Seven Hills, Ohio.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Stakeholder Engagement and Relationship Management. The Director will serve as primary liaison and facilitator between local partners and the national Emerald Cities Collaborative to promote equitable and sustainable development in the Cleveland area.
- Forge and develop relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including contractors, and local government, community, environmental and labor leaders.
- Within six months, facilitate collaboration of key local partners, empower them as the new Emerald Cities Cleveland Local Council, and develop a new strategic plan.
- Facilitate meetings, generate useful meeting materials, follow-through on deliverables.
Champion High-Road Economic and Workforce Development Projects and Policies
- Work with the newly empowered local council to identify and promote projects with potential to significantly enhance the environment, create good jobs and opportunities for disadvantaged residents.
- Drive adoption and implementation of best practices and policies for sustainable, equitable development in local government, such as community benefit agreements.
- Monitor, measure and market successes of community benefit policies in place, including as technical support provider for the Cuyahoga County Clean Energy Finance Hub.
- The director will report regularly to local council, and share reports of success with the national Emerald Cities Collaborative.
- Commitment and Collaboration. Strong commitment to mission and vision of Emerald Cities Collaborative. Proven ability to work with, and commitment to, unions and disadvantaged communities. Exceptional relationship-building skills, and collaborative working style. Public speaking skills.
- Management Abilities. Strong organization, time management, strategic planning and analytic skills. Ability to balance competing priorities. Group convening, facilitation and communication skills with varied stakeholders including business, labor, government officials, and community organizations. Background or working knowledge of program development, grant writing, fundraising, budgeting, and developing earned revenue streams helpful.
- Knowledge Base. Degree in business, policy, environmental studies, engineering or similar studies. Knowledge of construction training, project labor agreements, community workforce agreements, commercial and public construction industry, energy policy, environmental sustainability and/or related government entities helpful.
TIMING AND COMPENSATION
This full-time position will start as soon as possible. Competitive salary based on experience. Benefits include health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and eligibility for 401(k) retirement savings program. The position term is indefinite, subject to available funding. ECC is the fiscal sponsor for Emerald Cities Cleveland. Director will be accountable to the local council but will be a national Emerald Cities Collaborative employee.
Please send resume and cover letter, together in one document, with subject line “Job: Emerald Cities Director” email@example.com. Position open until filled with priority given to applications received by July 24th, 2015.
ECC is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative action. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer from broader societal discrimination.