The Northeast Nurses Association (“NENA”) is seeking a seasoned organizer to serve as Regional Organizing Director to take responsibility for new organizing campaigns, serve in a leadership position with respect to program and other staff, and play an integral role in NENA.
The ideal candidate will take an active role in all organizing efforts; and is at ease walking around hospital corridors and meeting with nurses wherever they are located, rather than sitting behind a desk.
The right candidate is outgoing, self-directed, has experience developing and running organizing campaigns, including oversight of staff to achieve concrete assessments and progress. S/he has excellent critical thinking, creativity, verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
NENA is a regional, progressive, organization covering 30,000 nurses and allied health care employees, working together to advocate for our patients, our practice, and our profession. NENA’s mission is to support efforts to educate and mobilize health care professionals interested in forming a union at their place of work. To that end, NENA has recently funded a budget to establish an organizing team to assess and develop new organizing opportunities into campaigns.
As members of NENA, nurses and healthcare professionals become part of a progressive and respected organization that uses its strength and vision to advocate for positive change through collective bargaining, legislation, education, and mobilization
NENA is looking for candidates who have:
- A minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated experience required in developing and leading organizing campaigns.
- Ability to direct, oversee and develop organizing staff.
- Previous experience with the labor movement
- Knowledge of organizing campaign data base management tools. Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to write and proofread campaign communications materials.
- Ability to conduct, analyze, and critique independent research to effectively synthesize and implement material for effective messaging.
- Supervisory experience a strong plus;
- Ability to work independently, think critically and creatively, self-directed, and operate within a dynamic and complex organizing environment;
- Healthcare industry experience preferred,
- Must be willing to travel throughout the northeast; Home base in NYC area preferred but can be located in other Northeast area.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Long hours and weekend work is expected.
- Designs, manages, and implements organizing campaigns. Expected to serve as hands-on organizer. Works with staff to coordinate all aspects of the campaign including vision, strategy, timeline, communication, and community outreach.
- Coordinates and supervises organizing staff;
- Provides feedback to staff on their performance while on the campaign.
- Oversees management of the campaign data base, web based applications, lists, and cards.
- Develops metrics to measure, quantify, and track progress. Provides information and metrics to NENA Board on regular basis.
- Develops and monitors the campaign budget for the campaign.
Scope and Nature of Supervision
- Must be able to act and manage time with extreme independence.
- A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with worker leaders and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
- Must be able to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Reports to the NENA Board and/or the Board’s appointed sub-committee.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package: health, dental, car allowance, 401(k) plan, and paid sick/vacation time.
In addition to a resume, we require a cover letter that gives us a clear picture of who you are, why you want to be the regional organizing director, an example of how you demonstrated success on a campaign, and what you will bring to the role.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: NYPNU@NYPNU.org with the Subject Line: NENA Organizing Director.
NENA is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions.