Made in NYC (MINYC www.madeinnyc.org), an initiative of the Pratt Center for Community Development located at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, was created to support the entrepreneurs and innovators creating high-quality, high-value products made locally by New Yorkers for local and global distribution. Our member businesses advance New York City’s vibrant and diverse economy by creating sustainable jobs in local communities across the five boroughs. Close to 1,200 companies representing all major industrial and manufacturing sectors in NYC are represented on the MINYC website.
New York City is home to manufacturing businesses that create everything from fashion, jewelry and accessories to food and beverages to furniture, architectural elements, and lighting fixtures, and so much more. Our member companies represent an incredibly diverse range of these businesses in terms of size, business lifespan stage, and category. We support our member businesses through a number of activities and initiatives including:
- Access to world-class marketing, communications and branding training through our partnership with Pratt Institute
- Made Here / Meet Here community networking events to bring our diverse member companies together
- Directory listing and profile listing on the MadeinNYC.org website
- Use of the official Made In NYC logo and mark for products and marketing materials
- Access to expertise in sourcing and business development guidance
- Opportunities to participate in events like Factory Friday tours and other activities supporting Made In NYC Week
- Creating pop-up market retail opportunities for member companies manufacturing consumer goods
Pratt Center now seeks to hire a Manager of Membership Development & Engagement (aka Membership Manager) for Made in NYC. The person in this position will work closely with the initiative’s director and staff to build a robust Made in NYC member community of manufacturing businesses from all over the five boroughs. The Membership Manager is responsible for overall growth of the membership community, recruitment and onboarding of new members, and direct outreach to members to understand their strengths as well as their needs, thus assisting the MINYC staff team to develop programs that help local manufacturing businesses to thrive and grow.
- Create and implement operational engagement plans for each of the major Made In NYC Member categories (Food, Furnishings, Fashion) to expand membership and foster relationships within each.
- Review and improve MINYC’s current on-boarding and ongoing communication process for new members.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships between MINYC and its most important big manufacturer members.
- Develop new program ideas as opportunities that arise, e.g. establishing a manufacturing business owner mentor / mentoree program.
- Host regular “Lunch with Made In NYC” series to offer members interesting information about local manufacturing and opportunities or networking that could support them.
- Build new partnerships between MINYC and manufacturers that can yield new interesting program ideas and other resources for the organization.
- Responsible for overall Made in NYC-related communications strategy in service of the membership development and community engagement goals, including:
- Social Media strategy and execution.
- Content creation for all channels (email, web, social).
- Email newsletters in coordination with Pratt Center’s Communications team.
- Build and maintain member relationships through regular communication via email, web & social channels, regular member company site visits.
- Work closely with the Programs & Partnerships Manager on member specific event development and execution
- Responsible for managing the Made In NYC Member database:
- Maintain data integrity and accuracy of member data.
- Coordinate regular survey of the membership to keep current with members’ needs and provide feedback to the MINYC team.
- Act as the point person for all web development in coordination with Pratt Center communications team and MINYC Director.
Education: Either a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public policy, metropolitan studies, urban planning or another related field, or equivalent work experience, is required.
Experience: 3+ years’ experience working at a social media, digital or advertising agency; online retailer; media company; or at a firm/organization related to public policy/urban planning in a communications and outreach role. Entrepreneurial experience is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, project management skills, interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a diverse member community are required. The successful candidate will be an experienced and proven team player, and will also have:
- Ability to analyze membership related data to inform member-related programing decisions and targeted communications via social & email.
- Ability to develop/manage a communications plan across multiple channels.
- Native understanding and expertise in all social media platforms and optimal way toemploy each to achieve overall program objectives.
- Deadline- and objective- driven mindset.
- Knowledge of and experience with web development.
- Ability to draft, format and deploy email newsletters using currently available programs.
This position is grant-funded for 18 months, beyond which it is contingent upon grant renewal.
Interested applicants should submit the following: 1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and in what ways you believe you are qualified for it; 2) your resume; 3) a brief writing sample that displays your written communications skills (e.g., a blog post, ad copy, program description, short academic paper, etc.). The writing sample should not exceed 5 pages. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system.
This institution is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Apply for this position here: https://apply.interfolio.com/55171
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.