The Workforce Development Corporation (“WDC”) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that works closely with the New York City Department of Small Business Services (“SBS”) to contribute to the economic vitality of the City by promoting workforce development and job creation through public and private partnerships. SBS’s Neighborhood Development Division (NDD) assists in the creation and support of community-based development organizations (CBDOs) that advance the growth of commercial districts across the five boroughs.
Storefront improvement is a simple way to upgrade the visual appeal of a commercial district, making it a place where people want to live, work, and play. NDD’s Storefront Improvement Program administers grants to businesses and property owners in target neighborhoods and provides capacity building assistance to CBDOs developing targeted programs to serve their commercial districts. Since 2013, the program has improved nearly 150 storefronts across 10 commercial districts, investing over $2 million and leveraging local private investment.
NDD is seeking a dynamic Project Manager to lead in the planning, execution and ongoing management of storefront improvement grant projects in Jamaica, Queens and other target neighborhoods. The Project Manager will coordinate with grantees, contractors, and architects to oversee completion of construction projects, ensuring quality and timeliness; manage relationships with grantees and partner CBDOs; conduct outreach to businesses and property owners; develop and deliver technical assistance and program curriculum to CBDO partners; and assist with other programmatic tasks as needed.
The Project Manager will report directly to the Senior Program Manager for Capacity Building Initiatives.
• Manage grantees, contractors, and architects across multiple improvement projects, ensuring timely and quality completion of storefront renovations
• Travel to project sites 1-3 days per week, monitoring program-wide and project progress
• Track vendor deliverables, budgets, bid pricing, construction milestones, and contract documents
• Draft, release, and evaluate requests for proposals for architects, contractors, and environmental professionals
• Facilitate conversations with a wide range of stakeholders on projects that impact Downtown Jamaica and target neighborhoods
• Build community partnerships through in-person meetings, information sessions, and attendance at community events
• Plan and execute outreach to current and prospective businesses including canvassing, phone calls, mailings, and in-person meetings
• Collect qualitative and quantitative metrics on storefront conditions, measuring program impact • Create program collateral including presentations, case studies, and other communication materials • Develop storefront improvement program curriculum and deliver to CDBO partners • Other tasks as assigned
• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of full-time experience in one or more of the following fields: urban planning, economic development, community organizing, public administration, project management; construction management; real estate.
• Outgoing and enthusiastic self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Ability to lead and manage projects with tight deadlines, driving a diverse set of stakeholders to complete tasks on schedule;
• Demonstrated knowledge of successful project management techniques and best practices;
• Knowledge of best practices and trends in storefront design and construction;
• Familiarity with Downtown Jamaica and/or Southeast Queens;
• Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and provide timely and clear updates to supervisors;
• Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through;
• An ability to be flexible and willingness to wear “multiple hats” when needed;
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Bilingual in English and Spanish;
• Experience with and knowledge of NYC Department of Buildings permitting and licensing processes;
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS.
• Familiarity with project management software such as Microsoft Project, Smartsheets, and/or others.
How to Apply: To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: “Storefront Improvement Project Manager” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.