THE POSITION: The Association for Neighborhood & Housing Development (ANHD) – a member-association of 99 neighborhood-based affordable housing and community development groups and one of NYC’s leading policy/advocacy organizations- seeks a Policy Director to shape ANHD’s agenda for more just and equitable affordable housing development and preservation, tenant protection, and equitable economic development in New York City. ANHD’s mission is to build community power to win that agenda, and the Policy Director works closely with ANHD’s advocacy and organizing agenda to mobilize the grassroots strength of our member organizations to win policy change.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Policy Director will:
- Have primary responsibility for the research, analysis, and drafting of ANHD’s policy recommendations and reports on affordable housing production and preservation, tenant protection, including;
- Develop and lead new policy research that improves NYC affordable housing development and/or preservation.
- Work with ANHD’s membership to develop long-term policy agendas with multi-year strategies.
- Support ANHD’s expanding Displacement Alert Project Imitative to provide strategic data that’s helps front-line organizers and policy makers.
- Provide policy expertise on current ANHD affordable housing work including land-use based housing programs such Mandatory Inclusionary Housing, and tax-abatement-based housing programs such as 421a.
- Provide policy research and analysis to ANHD’s ongoing campaigns to for stronger tenant anti-displacement policies, deep and permanent affordability in city-financed housing, and mission-driven development
- Work with ANHD staff to ensure the successful production of annual affordable housing materials and publications such as ANHD’s annual How is Affordable Housing Threatened in Your Neighborhood?
- Support the development and implementation of ANHD’s expanding agenda for equitable economic development, including policies that advance our work to expand quality industrial jobs, protect small business from displacement, and creation of quality local jobs.
- Work with ANHD’s communications staff to synthesize policy ideas into materials and visualizations for diverse audiences, including member groups, elected officials, policymakers/experts, and other issue stakeholders.
- Support ANHD staff’s ongoing policy work in other topic areas including bank-related community reinvestment, land use, and affordable housing production research and advocacy.
- Attend and speak on behalf of ANHD and our member groups at relevant government and /or stakeholder hearings, roundtables, taskforces, etc. as needed.
- Meet with and coordinate with housing stakeholders, City and State elected officials, and staff of relevant agencies on ANHD policy advocacy and campaigns, and on housing policy and legislation more generally.
- Work closely with all ANHD staff to ensure our policy development is well integrated into our broader advocacy and neighborhood organizing efforts.
- A minimum of six years of professional experience in policy related to affordable housing and community development.
- At least four years of experience in a senior or supervisory role.
- Master’s degree or higher in a related field.
- Significant policy analysis and report writing experience.
- Comfort working with large data sets and experience using statistical analysis packages preferred (STATA, SAS, SPSS, R, etc.)
- Experience working directly with community organizations and/or community based campaigns.
- Commitment to New York City’s neighborhoods and respect for community organizing and grassroots organizations.
- Familiarity with and interest in NYC, NYS and federal housing issues.
- Familiarity with and interest in equitable economic development issues.
Salary depending on experience. Good benefits. ANHD is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter and policy report writing sample to:
50 Broad Street, Suite 1125
New York, NY 10004-2376