Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) Action
Join our team! SAM is hiring a Political Field Organizer.
This is a contractor position for one year at $50,000 with potential to renew/contract-to-hire.
LOCATION: New York, NY
Resume and cover letter should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Political Field Organizer Position” in the subject line.
Regional Field Organizers will help with the important project of ensuring marijuana legalization and commercialization is prevented across the country. They will oversee efforts in those states where legalization is being considered or the Big Marijuana industry has been unleashed. Their primary responsibility will be to raise message awareness and organize teams of volunteers for action.
Organizers will build and grow teams of volunteers who conduct SAM’s mission in educating decision-makers, community leaders, and citizens of the harms of marijuana and activate others to vote for smart policy alternatives. They will identify and train leadership and support them as they enlist volunteers and supporters at events and through door-to-door canvassing. They hold volunteers accountable to goals set to ensure we gather enough supporters/voters to push back on marijuana initiatives. They will also engage with the press and local publications to get the message of SAM out.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· Building and managing a robust volunteer organization.
· Developing relationships with activists and political leaders.
· Planning and managing direct voter contact, earned media, and principal events.
· Training volunteers on persuading voters to oppose marijuana commercialization and fight Big Pot.
· Executing a metrics-driven outreach program in the geographic area assigned.
· Conducting outreach to diverse constituency, political, and issue groups.
Essential Pillars of Role:
- PUBLIC RELATIONS: The Regional Field Organizer will serve as the public face of the campaign in a variety of capacities, while sometimes “outsourcing” the PR work to volunteer spokespersons in the state (such as allied physicians, retired law enforcement officers, and clergy). This includes:
- performing media interviews;
- speaking at news conferences;
- debating opponents in public forums; and
- testifying before city councils and other political bodies at the state/county/city level.
2. COALITION BUILDING: The RFO will seek endorsements from in-state opinion leaders and organizations, such as:
- physicians, retired law enforcement, and clergy;
- local, state, and federal politicians;
- local Democratic and Republican organizations;
- state and local chambers of commerce;
- state medical and educational organizations; and
- newspaper editorial boards.
3. POLITICAL ORGANIZING: The RFO will work on proactive legislative initiatives to counter the legalization proposal; requiring significant presence around the state. He/she will also organize the campaign to fight any specific legalization initiative.
4. LIAISON WITH OTHER FRIENDLY ORGANIZATIONS: In addition, the RFO will liaise with natural allies. The goals of these grassroots activities are to (1) distribute campaign literature to the public, (2) generate a series of positive email messages to allied email lists, and (3) collect email addresses/contact information of supporters for the campaign committee.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Candidates should have strong interpersonal skills, experience meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage many tasks simultaneously;
· Candidates will have experience leading teams in a professional manner;
· Experience working for political campaigns preferred.
· Exceptional time management and organization skills.
· Ability to train and instruct teams of volunteers
· Excellent listening skills and ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
· Strong organizational, management, and interpersonal skills.
· Disciplined and solution-oriented approach in setting and achieving measurable targets.
· Candidates will preferably have one election cycle of field organizing experience
· The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of the structure of political campaigns
· A good sense of humor and a strong interest in and commitment to the ideas of the SAM
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Cover letter and resume.