The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is seeking an energetic and outgoing individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are a union nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 60,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
We are constantly working to recruit more For-Hire Vehicle drivers into our union and develop current membership to become more active. We are searching for an experienced organizer that has 5+ experience of organizing membership and staff.
The Field Organizer position will be responsible for coordinating all levels of outreach for the Independent Drivers Guild. This position requires a high energy, responsible, and organized individual with a passion for social justice.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing and developing member and intern field organizers and phone organizers;
- Maintaining a strong internal organizing strategy to continually develop members;
- Building a network of active drivers in each borough;
- Organizing and securing turn out for events, meetings, actions, and protests;
- Organizing and running successful membership meetings;
- Identify, track, and develop potential stewards and activists that we meet in the field and/or over the phones;
- Coordinating and running works council meetings with members and company management;
- Developing and maintaining a network of community partners;
- The ability to troubleshoot problems as they come up with organizing staff and with membership;
- Coordinating with the Education Director to run Organizing trainings to further develop our membership;
- Required 5+ years of field organizing, coordinating experience, and leading organizing staff.
This position will report directly to the Chief of Staff.
This is a salaried position, starting at $50,000.
Level of Language Proficiency
Our members are immigrants from over 190 different countries. Russian, Chinese, and Spanish are strongly needed, but conversational-level language skills in any language is great.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply