Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action. UNITE HERE Local 26 in Boston, MA is looking for a passionate, committed person to be a full-time union Boycott Organizer. (www.local26.org)
Boycotts are a critical piece of our comprehensive campaigns. Across the United States and Canada, our members (a majority of whom are women and immigrants) in the hotel and casino industries are standing in solidarity to defend their standards against corporations that are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Additionally, non-union hotel and casino workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation.
Boycott Coordinators develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% – Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% – Research and campaign related work.
- Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
- Must have previous activist experience — boycott experience a plus;
- Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills;
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel clients;
- Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels that are driving down industry standards;
- Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
- Working with community and labor allies;
Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches.
This is a campaign length position.
APPLY HERE: http://jobs.unitehere.org/