Summary of Position: Transportation Alternatives seeks passionate, outgoing, team-oriented community organizers to join the organization as hourly canvassers for our TransAlt Ambassador program.
The TransAlt Ambassadors work on the ground to organize and engage New Yorkers around safer streets. We seek knowledgeable and dedicated field staff that are familiar with New York City, and are passionate about working with others to improve the city’s streets in all five boroughs. TransAlt Ambassadors reporting to the Field Organizing Coordinator work alongside staff and local activists at outreach events around New York City. At the beginning of the program, Ambassadors will undergo training about Transportation Alternatives’ advocacy campaigns and New York City government and policy, and canvassing skills as a means to prepare for work in the field.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reach out to the public and petition for street safety campaigns in every borough
- Work with Field Organizing Coordinator to meet shift goals for petitioning, canvassing, and coalition growth
- Engage New Yorkers city-wide in support of TransAlt’s mission
- Build relationships with community-based organizations to foster support for safe street design and transportation equity on a local level
- Grow the base of TransAlt’s card carrying members
- Distribute promotional and TransAlt membership materials
- Fervent desire to make bicycling and walking safer in New York City
- Ability to work in a team environment to meets deadlines and accomplishes common goals
- A genuine love of their borough and New York City
- Experience in community organizing and strong public speaking skills a plus
- Fluent Spanish, Chinese, or foreign language speaking and writing skills are a plus
- Position requires a flexible schedule, including early mornings, nights and weekends
- Work takes place mostly outdoors, candidates must be comfortable working outside
- Savvy with social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat are a plus
- Commitment to making New York City a better place to bike, walk and use public transit
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change
- Commitment to social justice, transportation equity and access to NYC’s public spaces
- A good sense of humor
- $15/hour with bonus pay
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume, and a short response (250 words max.) to the following question: Describe a time when you convinced someone of something they were initially unsure of. What did you learn from the outcome?
Please send materials to email@example.com with “TransAlt Ambassador” in the subject line
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference.