Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Director of Civic Engagement will work closely with the Vice President of Advocacy to drive the NYIC’s overall civic engagement efforts, which include managing and implementing the Immigrants Vote! Campaign and other civic engagement activities.
- Direct the NYIC’s Civic Engagement program and ensure strong participation of member and partner organizations, identifying new partners to introduce to our work
- Lead the Immigrants Vote! Campaign, which provides grants to NYIC members to conduct non-partisan voter education, registration, and mobilization
- Support NYIC members in developing capacity to build civic engagement programs in their communities and in data tracking
- Develop tools to engage immigrant communities in the Census 2020, through Participatory Budgeting, and using other channels
- Develop and implement strategies to target immigrants applying for naturalization or who have recently been sworn in as citizens to support their civic engagement, in conjunction with the NYIC’s Immigrant Services Support team
- Draft materials for community education, including outreach one-pagers, community education materials, and training curricula
- Manage relationships with key external partners including members, government officials, and funders
- Assist with fundraising including prospecting and identifying new donors as well as grant reporting
- Strengthen and expand the NYIC’s civic engagement work outside of New York City
- At least 3-5 years of experience – experience with immigrant communities and a firm understanding of the electoral process a strong asset; experience working or volunteering on a political campaign is a plus.
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice, an understanding of challenges facing New York State’s diverse immigrant communities
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners
- Experience with community organizing and/or policy advocacy is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and one brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “Director of Civic Engagement” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.