The YA-YA Network (Youth Activists-Youth Allies) is now hiring a facilitator for our Summer Social Justice Institute
The Ya-Ya Network is currently seeking an experienced facilitator/social justice activist for our 7-week summer program for young activists, ages 15-19. Facilitate workshops/trainings on a wide range of social justice issues, train and mentor youth co-facilitators and support youth participants. 25 hours per week.
The Ya-Ya Network is a youth driven social justice organization, which provides young people with the training and experience needed to become the next generation of leaders in the movements to social & economic justice. We are actively anti-racist, anti-sexist and allies to the L.G.B.T community. Through political education anti-oppression training and organizing skills we train NYC young people of color from 15-19 to be the next generation of social justice activists. We fight for an end the school to prison pipeline and for social justice through an antiracist, anti-sexist, class conscious lens.
Facilitator’s Job Description:
The YA-YA Network’s Summer Facilitator role is a part-time summer position in our Summer Social Justice Institute.
- Lead YA-YA workshops, coach
- Train and mentor 2-4 YA-YA youth co-facilitators
- Collaborate with and serve the YA-YA community by joining us for a Summer of unlearning and collective transformation. Experience in facilitating social justice content in youth development spaces needed.
- Two years experience facilitating/co-facilitating interactive workshops ranging from 5-30 youth participants
- MUST be passionate about social justice
- Demonstrated personal/interpersonal skills to teach and interact effectively with diverse youth members and staff.
- Ability to motivate and aid in the professional development of young people
- Ability to train and mentor youth facilitators
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in developing and executing a campaign is a plus.
- May contribute to content development and preparation of materials. Interest and experience in designing curriculum a plus
Qualities of a YA-YA Facilitator:
- Commitment to the centering of oppressed communities and their solutions to social issues… A knowledge of historical and contemporary examples of how oppressed people advocate for their communities, competency of marginalized cultures, especially issues impacting NYC communities.
- Open, Outspoken, Invested… Passionate about the empowerment of historically oppressed communities. Willing to invest time and reciprocal mentorship with YA-YA summer participants
- Connected to Youth Led Community… Must be comfortable with youth led spaces, discussions, and visioning for the activities of the Summer Institute
- Support pre-program process and participant orientation
- Support, train and mentor youth co-facilitators
- Facilitate personal development and team building-focused activities that inspire youth to challenge themselves
- Guide debrief sessions, personal reflection, goal-setting and action-planning throughout the program
- Provide guidance, support and assistance to youth members, taking into consideration each youth’s background, needs and skill level, to promote individual development
- Implement program policies around participation, attendance and accountability and facilitate conflict resolution when needed
- Facilitate the process of critical thinking and critical reflection
- Research and compile experiential education resources, games and activities
- Facilitate and coordinate social action-oriented projects
- Share in the responsibility of supervising youth throughout the program
- Assist in planning and coordinating field trips
- Support the planning, preparation, and implementation of program activities
- Build relationships and collaborate with other youth development organizations and programs
- Complete all organizational documentation, evaluation and reporting requirements
- Support the development of safe youth-centered space for all students and staff
- Ability to work required hours (see below)
POC, queer folk and women especially encouraged to apply.
You MUST be available from June 25th to August 30th from 11-30 AM to 7 PM Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with additional hours for team meetings and preparation.
MUST participate in orientation and prep in June.
This is a paid-summer position @ $25.75 per hour, with the possibility of continuing into the school year.
Compensation: $25.75 per hour
Professional Level: None specified
Minimum Education Required: No requirement
How To Apply
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include job you are applying for and your full name in the subject line.