The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU is a strong, progressive union that represents members in retail, manufacturing and distribution centers. We are currently looking for a full-time union organizer that will be part of a team that is presently working with nail salon workers based in New York City.
Our ideal candidate is a hard working experienced organizer that has a passion for justice, a willingness to learn, solid communication skills, an attention to detail, a strong work ethic, an ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours (including nights and weekends), creative, and who is skilled and excited to facilitate the empowerment of workers from diverse backgrounds in forming a union.
- Build one – on – one relationships with workers
- Identify, recruit, and develop leaders to lead and guide union organizing campaigns
- Build worker organizing committees that are effective in union organizing campaigns
- Conduct worker meetings either one-on-one or in group settings
- Motivate workers to take action
- Provide accurate assessments of workers’ commitment to an organizing campaign and their ability to carry out work related to the campaign
- Provide tactical input into the development of campaign strategies during all phases of the campaign
- Probe identified targets
- Maintain accurate lists, records, and wall charts
- Coordinate workplace actions
- Work effectively with a team
- Fluency in Mandarin including reading, writing, and speaking is required
- Demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and social justice
- Minimum of two years’ experience organizing as part of a labor union or community organization
- Ability to work independently and collectively
- Ability to set appropriate and achievable goals with timelines
- Ability to carry out work and accomplish tasks within agreed upon timelines.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong listening and relational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with workers verbally and in writing
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability and willingness to work on nights and weekends according to the needs of the campaign
Includes excellent health benefits, paid time off, and retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
This position requires fluency in Mandarin including reading, writing, and speaking.
Professional Level: None specified
Minimum Education Required: No requirement
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and three references to Claudia Saenz at: firstname.lastname@example.org