Big Reuse is a non-profit organization whose mission is to divert reusable materials from the landfill — building a greener community and economy. We are a team of 40 dedicated environmentalists diverting materials from the landfill through our building material reuse center, two community composting sites, outreach program to promote the City’s organic waste collection and green job training.
In 2017 Big Reuse:
- Diverted 3 million lbs of reused building material and furniture.
- Composted 1.2 million lbs of food scraps, leaves and wood chips to provide 125 community groups with compost
- worked with 700 volunteers on community greening projects.
- Provided outreach to over 100,000 residents of NYC to encourage them to participate in the city’s organics waste collection program.
- Trained 15 transitional workers.
YOUR POSITION WITH BIG REUSE
The Fiscal and Employee Services Director has primary responsibility for providing leadership for all finance and HR. This includes activities related to Fiscal Management, Human Resources, Equity Initiatives, Administration, Office Management and Safety.
The Fiscal and Employee Services Director works in close cooperation with the Executive Director and as part of Big Reuse’s Leadership Team. You will collaborate with the Bookkeeper and Senior Financial Analyst on fiscal reporting, budgeting and forecasting. As the person responsible for HR functions, you will come into contact with every member of our amazing and beloved team, fielding questions about everything from healthcare plans to the care of Bagel, our warehouse cat. The Fiscal and Employee Services Director serves as a binder for the whole organization, so the ideal candidate will nurture a workplace climate of connectedness, equity, innovation, and inclusion that empowers staff.
Fiscal Management 50%
- Ensure GAAP and financial standards are met and managed for compliance
- Supervise maintenance of accounts and other work performed by Bookkeeper
- Work with Senior Business Analyst on development and management of annual budgets, departmental budgets, preparation of financial reports for Board of Trustees meetings, and development of short and long term financial goals
- Ensure Reuse Center managers are following appropriate financial process on sales, cash handling and sales tax.
- Manage annual non-profit audit and all insurance audits (worker’s comp, short term disability, liability).
- Work with Program Managers on quarterly funding reports for government contracts and track expenses and program cash advances; complete City Council Discretionary Funds and other funding contracts as necessary; assist Executive Director with funding contracts when requested
- Work closely with Executive Director on reviewing policy (including healthcare policy), researching and renewing insurance policies, and other projects as needed.
People & Operations Management – 50%
- Oversight of purchase and procurement processes.
- Coordination of training, evaluation and performance management systems with program directors
- In collaboration with Executive Director, research, propose and draft HR and organization policy as needed and update handbook and summary.
- Ensure organization is compliant with labor laws and other statutory requirements.
- Provide information to staff on employee benefits (health, disability, worker’s comp, etc.)
- Supervise onboarding process of new employees and maintain employee files.
- Secure and manage retirement savings plans.
- Plan quarterly all staff meeting.
- File and manage workers’ comp claims, short term disability, paid family leave, etc.
- Passion for the environment, reuse, and composting.
- 5 years related experience, including fiscal management and experience in human resource functions.
- Strong interest in social equity and anti-oppression
- Familiarity with accounting software including Quickbooks, Excel, Google Drive.
- Experience developing, implementing strategic workforce planning and performance evaluation.
- Supervisory experience, including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage performance, including conflict resolution.
- Accounting degree and/or CPA accreditation.
- Bookkeeping experience.
Big Reuse offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply to this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big Reuse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our environmental mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our city is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
To apply – please send email to email@example.com.
Be sure to include a cover letter within your email. Attach resume and 3 professional references.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.