The NewsGuild seeks an experienced, self-motivated organizer to work primarily on internal media organizing drives in the NYC metropolitan area. The organizer will report directly to the Guild’s Mobilization Director and will work with local staff, including our Local Representatives and Communications Director on various internal organizing initiatives.
This position will initially be part time with the potential to grow into a full-time position.
The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003 is a labor union representing nearly 3,000 news professionals in the Greater NYC area. The NewsGuild-Communication Workers of America represents over 22,000 news media workers in the US and Canada. Our members work in all areas of the media industry, including print, digital and broadcast operations.
- Identify and pursue member leaders in digital, print and broadcast media; work closely
with members to develop strong and active member driven committees
- Identify and develop education around key internal organizing issues; conduct strategic industry research
- Execute campaign plans with clear goals, strategies and benchmarks
- Develop and implement creative, escalating tactics to move members to action
- Work with local staff to engage current members in organizing campaigns to build support local-wide
- Build worker committees toward upcoming contract negotiations.
- 1-3 years labor organizing experience required; additional experience working in media a strong plus
- A strong commitment to building a diverse, democratic and member-led union and labor movement
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; must be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Ability to work irregular hours, long evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing quickly and efficiently (producing organizing materials, maintaining databases, correspondence, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, multitask, be well-organized and reliable
- Ability to assess workers’ support of the campaign; identify potential committee members; move workers to make concrete commitments and take action; facilitate committee meetings, etc.
Salary and benefits:
Competitive salary based on experience.
Application and instructions:
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to our Mobilization Director, Jesus Sanchez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.