ALIGN is a longstanding alliance of labor and community organizations united for a just and sustainable New York. Our unique model combines coalition building, strategic communications, and policy creation. ALIGN works at the intersection of economy, environment, and equity to make change and build movement. For more information about our work and campaigns, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented and motivated Strategic Researcher & Policy Analyst to join our team. This is an exciting time to join ALIGN and work within an ambitious organization at the forefront of innovative movement-building in New York.
The Strategic Researcher and Policy Analyst will report to the Deputy Director and is responsible for the following:
- Utilize a range of research strategies to collect quantitative and qualitative information, including internet and database searches, public records requests, interviews, surveys, etc.
- Conduct industry and political power analysis for strategic targeting and to advance campaign goals.
- Conduct policy analysis and contribute to policy development to support campaigns.
- Communicate research results through reports, briefing papers, and other research products appropriate for media persuasion, member education, and presentations to public bodies, on behalf of ALIGN and its partners.
- Develop and lead participatory action research (PAR) projects that engage and honor the skills and expertise of the grassroots to inform policy solutions, and coordinate related PAR activities across multiple grassroots organizations.
- Monitor, capture, filter, organize, and update information and data into databases to ensure strategic and valuable information is available organization-wide for campaigning purposes.
- Build effective working relationships with researchers and policy analysts working at ALIGN’s partner organizations.
Qualifications: A commitment to social, economic and racial justice and the labor movement; Minimum 5 years of experience in a strategic research capacity within a community organization and/or labor union; Strong relationships with and ability to influence the leadership of economic justice, environmental justice and labor organizations; Knows the New York political landscape and communities; Highly developed racial justice analysis; Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, and work as part of a team; Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills; Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment.
Terms of Employment: Full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy that is available upon request.
Application Process: This position is available immediately until filled. Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with “Strategic Researcher and Policy Analyst” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.