Good Old Lower East Side is a community based organization dedicated to keeping people in their homes and community since 1977. GOLES works to build the power of low-income residents through housing and economic justice organizing campaigns, community education, and direct services counseling. We are seeking an experienced organizer to work as part of a team to build power among low-income residents, promote the preservation and development of affordable housing and community involvement in decision making around land-use issues.
- Organize and support members with developing and implementing campaigns that address preservation, community benefits, large-scale development projects and land use changes on the Lower East Side.
- Support and coordinate regular meetings with the Land Use Committee
- Provide members with educational resources for community participation in land use processes, (e.g. EIS, ULURP)
- Facilitate leadership development and political education training to members
- Coordinate community education meetings and events
- Engage in base-building and membership recruitment strategies
- Work on special projects and campaigns as needed
- Coordinate and work in coalition with other community organizations, institutions and elected officials on community planning campaigns
- Work in team capacity to support and advance overall organizational mission
- Maintain & manage member records in database
- Maintain requisite reporting for funding sources
Qualified candidates will:
- Be committed to social, racial, and economic justice
- Have the ability to speak Spanish (preferred)
- Have 3 or more years experience organizing with low-income populations and communities of color
- Have a strong familiarity with urban planning (preferred).
- Be able to engage in street and door to door outreach.
- Have excellent organizational and interpersonal, writing, and computer skills.
- Be able to work under deadline pressure in fast paced office setting.
- Be able to work evenings and weekends, bilingual in Spanish preferred