- Advise and counsel members with regards to academic and future employment options, benefits and programs provided by the 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds; analyze and interpret student transcripts and records to provide assistance
- Assist members over the phone, in-person, online, at healthcare facilities and other events to ensure they make sound academic/career decisions and receive benefits as per Fund guidelines; refer them to appropriate academic programs including degree, certificate, preparatory classes, etc.
- Assist in the counseling, on-going case management of members nearing the completion of their degree/certification through Tuition Assistance and other education and training programs. Provide coaching in their job search pre and post upgrade strategies workshop.
- Conduct Tuition Assistance/College Workshops, identify common member needs and develop proposed solutions, including customized workshops and interventions as needed
- Collect and analyze data on all members who have not completed their training programs and provide case management support.
- Provide counseling on study skills, time management, and research methods.
- Responsible for preparing member appeal documentation; ensure members receive timely communication, follow-up and outcome regarding denials and appeals
- Establish relationships and coordinate services with contracted counselors, educational institutions and external workshop facilitators; ensure they have knowledge and tools necessary to provide the highest level of service to members and that referrals/transition among departments and schools is seamless
- Perform additional duties and projects as assigned by management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent years or experience required, Master’s preferred; plus
- Minimum three (3) years experience in counseling in the following forums: Human Resources, or Career Guidance, or Vocational Training Center, or in an Adult Education College based program.
- Knowledge/experience in the navigation of higher education programs a plus.
- Fluent in Spanish both written/oral, and cultural fluency of the variety of Latinos in NYC, a plus
- Knowledge of health care education programs/career ladders or City University of New York (CUNY) system preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with staff and all stakeholders
- Detail oriented and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines and work well under pressure
- Excellent reading, writing and verbal communication skills including presentation/facilitation skills
- Strong computer skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred
- Ability to maintain confidential information and handle sensitive issues
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evening and weekends
- Ability to travel to locations in the New York City area, in particular Brooklyn or Manhattan
- Must meet performance standards including attendance and punctuality
Salary – A range between $47k and $59k
All applicants will be subject to three reference checks, verification of educational and employment history and a criminal background check,
Please submit a current resume and cover letter with intention to firstname.lastname@example.org