For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Communications Department of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Social Media Associate.
The ACLU has made an unambiguous and unwavering commitment to the importance of communications as a central and essential element in the success of its mission. The organization places great emphasis on the role of communications in framing the debate on its issues, building support, and increasing the impact of its work. The Online Engagement Unit of the Communications Department is responsible for promoting the ACLU’s mission, its brand and its programs through multi-faceted digital and social media campaigns and communications.
Reporting to the Social Media Manager in the Online Engagement Unit of the Communications Department, the Social Media Associate will create, edit, produce, and promote content for ACLU’s rapidly growing social media presence. The Social Media Associate will work closely with staff across the communications department and the organization to achieve ACLU’s social media goals.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Social Media Manager, Communications and other programmatic staff to develop social media campaign and promotion strategies.
- Take lead on creating/producing content in Spanish for social media outlets.
- Collaborate with Communications and program staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our advocacy, programmatic and legislative work, and to generate email list and social media audience growth.
- Maintain ACLU’s presence and profiles across primary social media channels.
- Monitor social media trends, and emerging practices. Evaluate social media platforms for adoption by ACLU.
- Track and monitor the success of social media and online engagement initiatives. Develop reports for staff on ACLU’s social media metrics and analytics.
- Train staff and ACLU affiliates on developing their social media presence; work with ACLU affiliates to implement social media best practices.
- Work as part of a multi-departmental and multi-disciplinary team that includes digital communications, online campaigners, web production, and online fundraising.
- Write and edit social posts and campaign content; maintain the publishing calendar and schedule posts.
- Develop advertising content for Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter.
- Off hours produce and publish content as needed for live coverage of high priority events.
- Assist with weekend web and social media publishing as part of a rotating coverage schedule.
- As-needed, assist with web content publishing to ACLU.org.
- Assist with special projects including online actions and advocacy campaigns, live social media events, and communications campaigns to support ACLU programs.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office by using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working with and communicating to diverse constituencies
- Spanish language fluency required.
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communications skills; strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Experience writing and editing persuasive social media content; familiarity with a broad range of social media strategies.
- Experience producing content for professional social media profiles on Facebook and Twitter. Experience using and evaluating emerging social media platforms.
- Experience with producing content such as Facebook Live, Periscope, Instagram Stories, Snapchat, and Tumblr is desired.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with minority communities harmed by discriminatory policies and practices, either through personal connection and history or through work experience.
- Proven track record of working collaboratively with colleagues across departments and functions.
- Basic experience with HTML, CSS and Photoshop.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously, often under tight deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate grace under pressure and possess the ability to work well both independently as well as within a team.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of three years’ related experience in social media is required.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements), a resume and a relevant writing sample of no more than 3 pages to hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org – reference [COMM-77/ACLU-W] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to the Communications Department. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”