The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Community Organizing Coordinator. We are seeking an outgoing, action-oriented individual to play a leading role in our organizing work in the immigrant, Asian American and Korean American communities.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, civic participation, and targeted social and legal services. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including low-income, limited-English-proficient and undocumented residents.
The Community Organizing Coordinator would work in the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged in campaigns advancing social justice in immigrant rights, housing and tenants’ rights, civil and voting rights and other issues at the federal, state and local levels. This is a full-time, salaried position.
The Community Organizing Coordinator would have the following responsibilities:
- Lead events/activities in outreach and engagement of undocumented young adults, LEP individuals and senior citizen immigrants. Specifically, coordinate regular member meetings, workshops, and other community-building and educational programs
- Work closely with directors to shape programs that will cultivate the growth of community members into community leaders and activists who can engage issues such as immigration, housing and other civil and human rights issues
- Represent the MinKwon Center in partnerships, coalition activities and other external relationships
- Help with media activities that raise awareness through mainstream and ethnic press
- Supervise volunteers and interns
- 1+ years’ experience with grassroots outreach and issue-based campaigns
- Interest and experience in working on progressive social justice issues
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team setting
- Spoken fluency or proficiency in the Korean language
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and interest in public speaking
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
MinKwon offers health, dental, vision and transit benefits. We have a generous paid time off policy.
Level of Language Proficiency: Korean – advanced to fluent
Professional Level: None specified
Minimum Education Required: No requirement
How To Apply
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
James Hong, Co-Director
NOTE: Make subject line of email “Application to Position: Organizing Coordinator – [YOUR NAME]”