The Alliance for Downtown New York manages Lower Manhattan’s Business Improvement District, serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. The mission of the Alliance for Downtown New York is to provide service, advocacy, research and information to advance Lower Manhattan as a global model of a 21st century Central Business District for businesses, residents and visitors.
The Downtown Alliance is seeking a graduate student intern to assist in a study of quality life issues in Lower Manhattan. The study will help us better understand and assess the existing conditions for residential waste disposal and removal in the district. This position will require significant field work focused on the location, placement, type, and on-time set out and collection of waste at several key residential building sites in Lower Manhattan. The intern will work with Alliance Sanitation workers and Public Safety Officers to ensure that the quality and accuracy of the data we collect.
● Survey key residential building sites to collect data on the location, placement, type and on-time set out and collection of waste
● Coordinate with Alliance Sanitation and Public Safety officers as needed
● Input survey data into spreadsheet
This is an ideal opportunity for a self-starting candidate looking to gain hands-on experience in sustainability and waste management in the context of the day-to-day operations of the largest business improvement district in New York City. The Intern will work approximately 10-20 hours per week for four weeks.
This is a paid internship – the hourly rate is $12/hour.
● Currently enrolled in an Undergraduate or Master’s in Urban Planning, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, or other relevant field of study
● Experience with data collection and analysis and survey methods
● Willingness to do extensive (~90%) field work and work flexible hours outside of 9-5 with minimal supervision
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Productivity Suite.
● Interest in sustainable and/or urban waste management practices
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant work samples to Lauren O’Toole at lotoole (at) downtownny.com by Friday, September 29. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.