Update: missed the event and want to watch it online? Catch the video here.
Friday, September 15
Murphy Institute, 18 Floor
In light of the Supreme Court’s decision to hear Gill v. Whitford, this panel will explore the history of gerrymandering and the effects of recent changes in technology, data mining, and dark money, to understand the implications of potential Supreme Court decisions. Before this case made it to the Supreme Court, what work had been taking place on the ground to address the effects of gerrymandering? How has the US Census influenced redistricting? What can we expect from the Supreme Court and how will this impact the future of electoral politics?
- David Daley, author, Ratf**ked: The True Story Behind the Secret Plan to Steal America’s Democracy and former Editor in chief of Salon.com
- Lauren Jones, National Civil Rights Counsel, Anti-Defamation League
- Michael Li, Senior Counsel for the Brennan Center’s Democracy Program
- Deuel Ross, Assistant Counsel at the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Jerry G. Vattamala, Director, Democracy Program, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
- Moderator: John Mollenkopf, Distinguished Professor of Political Science, CUNY Graduate School and consortial faculty, Murphy Institute