CoFED has a deep belief in the power of young people to build a multiracial, multiclass, multicultural movement committed to creating alternatives to a racist and extractive food system that does not serve us as people or the planet. By building food co-ops, our communities can nourish, heal, and provide jobs and livelihoods for ourselves. In the process, which we believe must be led by all of us together, we evolve towards collective liberation. If you’ve been following our work this past year, you’ll know that we’ve been working on exciting projects and accomplished much:
Launched our inaugural Racial Justice Fellowship
Organized our biggest, most diverse Summer Co-op Academy to date
Published our #UnlearningWithCoFED monthly email series, where we’ve been questioning and learning together how co-ops fit into the larger visions of food, racial, economic, gender and climate justice.
And right around the corner, look out for the release of the Co-op Cultivator Course
Help us power this growth and find the best person to join the CoFED team! Please share this job description with your community! The deadline to apply is September 25th.
See full job description below.
This is a full-time remote position, with 10% travel domestically. People of color, women, immigrants, people with disabilities, working class and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
CoFED trains young people, ages 18-30, to develop food co-ops that advance racial justice and community-owned wealth in the food system. We have a deep belief in the power of young people to build a multiracial, multiclass, multicultural movement committed to creating alternatives to a racist and extractive food system that does not serve us as people or the planet. By building food co-ops, our communities can nourish, heal, and provide jobs and livelihoods for ourselves. In the process, which we believe must be led by those most directly impacted by injustice, we evolve towards collective liberation.
CoFED is at a pivotal point in our organizational development. Founded by college students and recent graduates in 2010, CoFED has historically worked exclusively with college students to start campus-based food co-ops. Beginning in late 2016, CoFED’s programs have started to serve young people off college campuses, and we will embark on strategic planning in 2018 to help us grow this vision and impact.
CoFED is a fiscally sponsored project of Inquiring Systems, Inc. We currently have 2 full-time workers and 1 part-time worker, and a dedicated Board of Advisors.
About the Position
The Programs Director position is for you if you are excited about creating meaningful learning experiences that help young people strengthen their co-ops or build new ones. You will:
Programs + Communications:
- Lead our Summer Co-op Academy, an annual weeklong cooperative business bootcamp
- Lead our Racial Justice Fellowship, a 10-week paid Fellowship for young people committed to advancing racial justice and community-ownership in the food system
- Launch our Co-op Cultivators Course, a 15-week co-op development curriculum designed for college students to take as independent study
- Develop wrap-around programming to provide year-round access to technical assistance
- Oversee our website, including website redesign in early 2018
- Manage our email list, including monthly newsletters and Unlearning emails
- Utilize and optimize our website, CRM database and other tools to meet goals
- Evaluate programs and report impact metrics
- Be a thought partner in strategic planning, goal setting, and business planning
- Assist in creating and managing the annual budget
- Support end-of-year and other grassroots fundraising campaigns
- Collaborate on grant writing and reporting
- Represent CoFED to our various stakeholders and the public
- Perform monthly self- and peer-evaluations
Qualified applicants will thrive in a data-driven, democratic, and collaborative environment.
- Commitment to racial, economic and gender justice
- Knowledge of co-op development and the solidarity/new economy movement
- Minimum 7 years of related experience
- Highly motivated to deliver results
- Exceptional follow-through, accountability, and responsiveness to feedback
- Impeccable written and verbal communications skills
- Strong organizational skills, with great attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for problem solving
- Ability to practice a high level of self-awareness and empathy for others
- Proficiency in online tools and platforms (eg. Nationbuilder, Asana, Google Docs, Zoom)
- Experience working in a national nonprofit or as part of a remote national network
- Experience educating young people who are people of color, low-income, immigrants, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and/or returning citizens
- Ability to challenge and transform unjust power dynamics (informed by race, class, gender, etc.)
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter and resume to Hnin Hnin: email@example.com with subject line “Programs Director” by Sep 25, 2017. PDFs required.
10 paid holidays, 2-week vacation over winter break, plus 10 days of accrued vacation time in your 1st year.