JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the US correctional population in half by 2030. On the guiding principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by incarceration to drive policy reform. JLUSA was launched in November 2014.
JLUSA seeks a driven, inspired, and energetic New York Statewide Organizer. The Statewide Organizer will work with JLUSA’s Advocacy Team to build power and mobilize directly impacted communities across New York State in support of legislative and policy campaigns to end mass incarceration. The Statewide Organizer will play a key role in developing and executing campaigns to achieve legislative successes in Albany.
JLUSA seeks an experienced organizer who has experience working on grassroots, policy and advocacy campaigns and has strong base-building, member development and coalition building skills to fill this dynamic role. The ideal candidate is deeply committed to JLUSA’s mission, flexible and works effectively in a fast-paced environment, and possesses a great sense of humor. With our bold and ambitious organizational goals and unique theory of change, the right candidate can have a significant impact on redefining justice in America.
JLUSA’s New York Statewide Organizer will report to the New York State Advocacy Coordinator and work closely with JLUSA staff, members and campaign partners to build a movement to reach #halfby2030.
- Community outreach, base-building, leadership development focused on individuals directly impacted by mass incarceration (emphasis on building power in upstate counties).
- Civic-engagement and issue-based education for members and allies.
- Developing and maintaining strategic partnerships with key social justice reform organizations across New York State.
- Support the planning and execution of direct actions & public events.
- Flexibility for statewide travel and ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Work with the NYS Advocacy Coordinator to develop & execute strategy for criminal justice reform and decarceration agenda, including organizing and campaign landscaping, and strategic work-plan development.
- Identifying and tracking responsibilities and successes, and being accountable to outcomes.
- Management of interns and volunteers.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities & skills:
- 2-5 years of grassroots community organizing experience (required)
- Employing grassroots strategies for social change; base-building expertise and experience developing directly impacted leaders
- Work on legislative and coalition based campaigns; experience building organizational partnerships
- Knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to end mass incarceration.
- Comfort with working collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as with working independently on specific projects.
- High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills
- Collaborating with staff and/or volunteers remotely; Supervising interns and/or volunteers
- Computer-skills proficiency (Microsoft suite, Google suite, client management systems preferred)
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for joining JustLeadershipUSA as the New York Statewide Organizer to Erin George, New York State Advocacy Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the Subject Line: New York Statewide Organizer_Last Name, First Name. In addition, please include a writing sample of no more than five pages, and three references.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Although JustLeadershipUSA’s office is based in New York City, candidates based outside of New York City are encouraged to apply.
JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including, with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our website at www.justleadershipUSA.org