We Drive NY, is a one-year campaign collaboration between 32BJ SEIU and The NY Taxi Workers Alliance. We have an exciting opportunity for an Organizing Associate to join our campaign and help grow a strong and unified base of yellow and green cab drivers together with app-based drivers in NYC.
About the position: We seek an Organizing Associate who will help support thousands of drivers in growing and diversifying the membership of the NY Taxi Workers Alliance and fighting for a unity platform to lift standards for all drivers.
- Organize yellow taxi, green cab and app-based drivers throughout New York City to grow and diversify the NY Taxi Workers Alliance;
- Recruit and sign up drivers to become members of the NY Taxi Workers Alliance;
- Identify and develop driver leaders;
- Assist in planning and running meetings and actions of workers and community members.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Organizing or community work, or volunteer experience;
- The ability and willingness to work long or irregular hours, including weekend work as needed;
- Strong and effective verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills strongly preferred;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- A car and a valid driver’s license are strongly preferred;
- Fluency in a second language, either French, Arabic, Nepalese, Bengali, Hindi or Urdu preferred;
- Familiarity and experience with the taxi and app-based ride industry preferred.