Term: Full-time with at least a 1 year commitment
Salary: commensurate with experience
Application deadline: July 7, 2017
Background: Picture the Homeless (PTH) is a citywide grass roots organization founded and led by homeless New Yorkers in 1999. PTH seeks an experienced organizer with a strong background in tenant organizing, base building, leadership and campaign development, and experience with, or demonstrated knowledge of, community development., for our Community Land Trust and Housing Organizer position.
The Community Land Trust & Housing Organizer (CLTHO) will organize E Harlem residents (tenants and shareholders, doubled up individuals and families, shelter residents, street homeless, and homeless folks displaced from the neighborhood) to support Community Land Trust and other housing needs. The CLTHO will work closely with East Harlem El Barrio Community Land Trust (EHEBCLT), the New York City Community Land Initiative www.nyccli.org, and other housing allies.
The Community Land Trust & Housing (CLTH) Organizer’s responsibilities will include:
● Door knocking, tabling, phone banking and other forms of outreach to residents in E Harlem
● Educate E Harlem community on Community Land Trust
● Extensive leadership development, including identification of potential CLT and cooperative housing board members
● Set up and hold skills building workshops
● Integration of housed and homeless community members into campaign
● Extensive neighborhood ally engagement
● Maintain database for all contacts
● Represent the organization in alliance and citywide spaces
● Staff various CLT and Housing Meetings
● 25% time spend working with EHEBCLT, board and staff to support its continued growth
● Assist Housing Organizer with campaign strategy and lead visioning work with members to ensure permanent affordability for residents, especially extremely low income in East Harlem
● Manage multiple interests of tenants, shareholders and homeless folks on community land trust,
● Become proficient in housing policy, and community land trusts
● Use social media to mobilize allies and disseminate campaign information
● Experienced tenant or housing organizer on a social justice campaign;(at least 3 years)
● Demonstrated track record in base building, and campaign development
● Strong Leadership Development skills
● Strong teamwork abilities for close collaboration with other staff and member committees, as well as work independently
● Superb research, analytical, writing, oral communication, and interpersonal skills
● Dedication and ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
● Fluency in English and Spanish preferred but not required
● Demonstrated commitment to grassroots organizing and building power of poor and working people
● Salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits package,
Picture the Homeless encourages applications from people of color from low income communities, LGBTQ, differently abled and people who have personally experienced homelessness.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put CLTH Organizer in the subject line to ensure that your email is received and reviewed. No calls please.