Position Location: preference for candidates based in the East Coast. However, exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates.
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD, c3) and CPD Action (c4) are a national network of close to fifty community-based organizations in 35 states that build organizing power to transform the local, state and national policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and progressive labor unions nationwide.
About the Position
We seek an energetic, experienced Director of Emerging Organizing, to:
- i) Provide intensive support to talented organizers across the country in building new people’s organizations
- ii) Connect these organizers to CPD’s full array of supports, opportunities and resources and
iii) To recruit and support the leadership of the next generation of institutional leaders of these organizations through building leadership pipelines within the CPD network.
A strong candidate will have
- i) Significant experience as an organizer and institution-builder
- ii) Deep alignment with CPD’s theory of change, which focuses on building strong people’s institutions
iii) A track record of effectiveness in campaigning, base-building, staff and member training and leadership development, and building and sustaining coalition and ally relationships
- iv) Some experience with other activities central to building new organizing efforts such as fundraising and communications
The Director of Emerging Organizing’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Providing regular support to a cohort of 10-12 new or emerging organizing projects, and more intensive, regular support to 4-5 of these projects, to support their effectiveness, impact, and sustainability
- Interfacing with CPD staff across our internal teams, to ensure that these new and emerging projects benefit from the full-array of supports, resources and opportunities available through CPD
- Building grounded and meaningful relationships with these new projects which lead them to connect deeply with each other, other CPD partners, and CPD staff, and to view CPD as a “movement home” for their work over the long haul
- In collaboration with other CPD staff, building out a pilot leadership pipeline program that engages people of color, women and young people for placement in staff roles at our partner organizations to support the sustainability and success of our network partners in future years.
- Supporting, and over time, taking on primary responsibility for fundraising efforts to sustain this area of work
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income people
- At least 8 years’ experience in progressive campaigns with community-based organizations
- Experience as a supervisor and developer of organizers
- Strong track record in base-building, campaigning, and leadership development
- Experience working across departments or teams within an organization
- Success as independent, self-motivated, and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with diverse organizations and partners
- Experience working in diverse communities
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Results-focused and organized
- Willingness to travel
- Desire to develop strong fundraising skills and to take increasing responsibility for fundraising
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter through our hiring portal: https://cpd.hiringthing.com/job/44073/director-of-emerging-organizing
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.