Do you want to join a team focused on activating a base of people to stop Trump’s attacks on everything we care about and fought to protect? Are you experienced organizer? Do you want to help one of the oldest environmental groups turn a base of supporters into a base of activists at the very moment we need as many people active as possible? Do you like working virtually?
Position: Grassroots organizer (contract) to help stand up to Trump
Location: Multi positions including Southeast (TN, GA, FL) and a remote position (location flexible within U.S.)
Friends of the Earth-U.S., founded by David Brower in 1969, is the U.S. voice of the world’s largest federation of grassroots environmental groups, with a presence in 75 countries. Friends of the Earth works to defend the environment and champion a more healthy and just world. We are a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for more than 45 years, resulting in landmark environmental laws, precedent-setting legal victories and groundbreaking reforms of domestic and international regulatory, corporate and financial institution policies.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Our current campaigns focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change, ensuring the food we eat and products we use are sustainable and safe for our health and the environment, and protecting marine ecosystems and the people who live and work near them.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated organizer to do a four-month contract as a Friends of the Earth grassroots organizer focused on helping to engage grassroots activists by identifying, training, activating, and developing local leaders for a FOE grassroots network . The goals of the organizer will be to recruit new volunteers, develop leaders, and collaborate with allies on behalf of Friends of the Earth, and focusing that organizing on the urgent issue of stopping Trump, his friends in congress, and the fossil fuel industry from dismantling our environmental and social justice laws. We are looking for an experienced organizer who can help us maximize the impact of our organizing at this critical moment.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Develop grassroots leaders in key locations;
- Train newly engaged activists in a variety of critical organizing skills;
- Organize and mobilize a broad, diverse and powerful base of supporters in support FOE’s efforts to stop the destructive attacks on environmental and social justice protections;
- Recruit and activate volunteers;
- Coordinate events such as organizing meetings, rallies, weeks of action, panel discussions, and film screenings;
- Coordinate and implement grassroots and grasstops organizing and public education campaigns;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- As part of the national organizing team help design organizing plan and strategy, create materials, plan and execute trainings
Two or more years of experience in grassroots/field organizing.
Skills and knowledge
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice;
- Experience in grassroots organizing, recruitment, and leadership development;
- Experience in organizing events including protests, rallies, and actions on key issues;
- Desire to have a major impact on policy debates through hard-hitting advocacy;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among colleagues and external partners;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once in a self-directed manner, ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, ability to work in coordination with a diverse group of coalition partners and ability to work effectively in a changing environment;
- Sophisticated oral and written communication skills and comfort with presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses and government officials;
- Excellent decision-making skills, professional initiative, time management, prioritization and networking skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.
This is a four month contract with Friends of the Earth. The contract will be commensurate with experience.
To apply: Send an email with your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.