SBIDC is offering a six month paid fellowship for a Revitalization Fellow to work on several of our economic development projects as part of our Business Services team. The Revitalization Fellow’s primary responsibilities will be centered around our commercial revitalization programs in Red Hook. The Fellow will work with the Economic Development Program Manager to plan and execute two street fairs on Van Brunt Street in Red Hook, one in June and one in October. The Fellow will also be responsible for maintaining various administrative tasks for the commercial revitalization business attraction program, including website, social media and database updates.
This position requires excellent coordination, outreach and organizational skills. We are targeting individuals with an interest in economic development, revitalization, and placemaking. We welcome opportunities for students who are interested in developing a thesis or research project based on this work.
Commercial Revitalization Responsibilities
· Help plan, manage and implement two street fairs in Red Hook
· Update Red Hook’s commercial and vacancy database, including property and ownership information
· Deliver Red Hook Neighborhood Guides to retail businesses
· Outreach to retail and industrial businesses – in person and over the phone to recruit for events
· Update SBIDC central database
· Website and social media updates
· Attending community meetings on behalf of SBIDC
· Individual must be motivated to help small businesses and the Southwest Brooklyn community, and work as part of an energized and cohesive team of staff members.
· Experience or interest in placemaking and community development projects
· Event organizing skills
· Comfortable with and proficient at outreach techniques: door to door outreach, phone banking, etc.
· Excellent writing skills
· Experience working with database systems
· A knowledge of SBIDC’s three neighborhoods: Sunset Park, Gowanus and Red Hook
This Fellowship will last from May 1st through October 2017. A monthly stipend will be provided.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Jesse Solomon: email@example.com.
*SBIDC is an equal opportunity employer.
Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Development Corporation (SBIDC) provides advocacy and services to help businesses and workers in the Sunset Park, Red Hook and Gowanus neighborhoods.
SBIDC is a neighborhood-based economic development organization that has worked in the Brooklyn waterfront neighborhoods of Sunset Park, Red Hook and Gowanus since 1978. SBIDC delivers a wide range of business services to local firms and providing local residents with employment services.