Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452
Reports To: Vice President, Development and External Affairs
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
WHEDco seeks a Development Officer to play a key role as part of its Development team. The Development Officer will be a primary developer of institutional giving opportunities and relationships supporting WHEDco’s youth education and development programming, early childhood development, and other youth-and family-related initiatives. The Development Officer will produce high quality proposals, reports and other communications to a portfolio of corporate, foundation and government funders, and identify new opportunities to engage supporters. She/he will attend funder meetings, plan, coordinate, and lead relevant funder site visits, and represent WHEDco externally on an as-needed, occasional basis. This position reports to the Vice President, Development and External Affairs, is part of a six-person Development team, and will be responsive and supportive to the Youth Development and Education, Home-Based Childcare, and Head Start teams, as well as WHEDco’s Communications, Fiscal, and Research, Policy, and Evaluation departments.
- Writing high quality, persuasive grant proposals and reports to communicate with corporate, foundation and government funders.
- Identifying and forecasting trends and preferences in institutional and government funding and working to best position WHEDco to maximize funding opportunities within these frameworks.
- Researching and identifying new funding sources for WHEDco and key program areas.
- Maintaining positive and informative institutional donor relationships with a portfolio of new and current funders.
- Developing grant budgets in concert with program, executive, and fiscal staff.
- Developing strong working relationships with the appropriate program staff and the research, policy, and evaluation team to ensure that we are communicating our program outcomes, impact, client data, and research in a timely and effective manner.
- Writing creative and engaging communications materials to raise awareness of WHEDco among its various constituencies.
- Responding to and supporting other Development, Communications, or special project needs, as applicable.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Min. two years’ experience writing substantive grant proposals and/or communications materials. Education & youth development, early child care and development, research and policy, and nonprofit community development related experience preferred.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and Adobe products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat. Other software skills/experience a plus, particularly design and video software/apps.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in developing grant budgets and reporting on expenditures.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Collaborative and congenial work style.
- Experience using and managing donor records using donor database software.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.