To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Outreach & Organizing Fellow. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Community Outreach & Organizing Fellow will work closely with NYIC program staff to help lead community outreach and organizing efforts in the wake of government policies that create fear and could be harmful for immigrant communities. The Fellow will be working with diverse communities across New York, including Muslim and Arab communities. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
- Attend community engagement events, forums, townhalls on behalf on NYIC and conduct know your rights presentations, in conjunction with community-based partners.
- Help organize rallies, actions, and other events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key community-based partners and explore opportunities for coalition work and joint efforts.
- Assist in the creation of community engagement and public education materials such as flyers, Know Your Rights cards, and backgrounders
- Support communications and media outreach as necessary within affected communities and liaising with local community based organizations and the NYIC
- Support advocacy campaigns, communications team, or other aspects as required.
- At least two years of experience in community engagement or organizing, ideally with immigrant communities.
- Knowledge of issues facing New York’s immigrant communities, particularly Muslim immigrants.
- Experience with fast paced environments and juggling multiple tasks.
- Ability to communicate and deliver community presentations in Arabic is required, knowledge of other languages is also an asset.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking.