APPLICATION DEADLINES EXTENDED!!
Undergraduate applications: July 11th
Graduate applications: June 13th
A Full-Time Academic and Community Service Experience in NYC
Be a leader. Put your passion for social justice to work. Earn credits and financial support toward your educational expenses.
Community Semester is a full-time, intensive academic and internship program that provides students with an opportunity to put their passion for social justice to work, both inside and outside the classroom. Students learn first-hand how community-based organizations fight for environmental justice, housing rights, immigrant rights, tenants’ rights, economic justice, youth engagement, neighborhood resilience, civic justice, and community empowerment by contributing to the movement themselves. Students analyze the experience they gain in the field by studying community organizing, community development, government, and nonprofit leadership, and by sharing their work experiences with fellow Community Semester interns and with students in Murphy’s sister program, Union Semester.
Students participate in Community Semester to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of social movements
- Gain experience working for a community-based organization
- Sharpen their analytic skills in order to be more effective in their studies or on the job
- Obtain professional experience that can help build a career path in social justice
- Develop leadership skills
- Begin building a lifelong professional network
- Earn credits and financial support toward educational expenses
For more information contact: Community Semester Program Coordinator, Crystal Joseph email@example.com or call: 212-857-1966. Applications for Fall 2016 due May 1, 2016.