ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. Successes include the “Trades and Residents for Apprenticeship Development and Economic Success” (TRADES) project, which has created over 300 careers in construction for local public housing residents through New York City Public Housing Authority capital repairs; securing one of the nation’s first municipal green buildings policies, which has eliminated over 200,000 metric tons of harmful greenhouse gas emissions; and anchoring the Alliance for a Just Rebuilding and achieving a the Build it Back local hiring program in Sandy-impacted communities. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
The Strategic Researcher will report to the Campaign Director and is responsible for the following:
- Utilize a range of research strategies to collect quantitative and qualitative information, including internet and database searches, public records requests, interviews, surveys, etc.
- Conduct industry and political power analysis for strategic targeting and to advance campaign goals.
- Find and cultivate new sources of information that advance local campaigns, including research on companies, industries, laws and policies, government agencies.
- Communicate research results through reports, briefing papers, and other research products appropriate for media persuasion, member education, and presentations before public board and commissions on behalf of the organization and its partners.
- Develop and lead participatory action research (PAR) projects that engage and honor the skills and expertise of the grassroots to inform policy solutions, and coordinate related PAR activities across multiple grassroots organizations.
- Conduct research trainings and presentation for partner organizations and their members.
- Monitor, capture, filter, organize, and update information and data into databases to ensure strategic and valuable information is available for campaigning purpose.
Qualifications: A commitment to social, economic and racial justice and the labor movement; Minimum 5 years of experience in a strategicresearch capacity within a community organization and/or labor union; Has strong relationships with and ability to influence the leadership of economic justice, environmental justice and labor organizations; Knows the New York political landscape and communities; Highly developed racial justice analysis; Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, supervise junior staff, and work as part of a team; Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills; Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment; Ability to produce significant impacts; Ability to work independently.
Terms of Employment: Full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy that is available upon request.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put “Strategic Researcher” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response. ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.