Major education union seeks an experienced journalist with computer-assisted reporting skills to join its communications staff. The candidate must demonstrate substantial knowledge of New York City public education. Excellent writing, research and investigative reporting skills are essential. Experience as a public school teacher a plus.
Duties include writing news and features for the union’s website and its monthly newspaper and providing research assistance to the UFT’s external press department as needed. The reporter will use Twitter and other social media as a logical extension of their reporting work.
The reporter will file breaking news stories on deadline, write compelling features on educators’ working lives and noteworthy school programs, and write news stories and analysis on education funding and city and state policies that affect public schools. He or she will research and write news analysis with accompanying charts on test-score results, teacher attrition and other education topics.
The candidate will support other communication initiatives and perform other related duties as assigned by the director of member communications.
- Must be versed in urban education issues and able to demonstrate knowledge of the issues confronting the UFT and public education
- At least five years of reporting experience
- Graduate degree preferred
- First-rate writing and research skills
- Knowledge of and commitment to the labor movement
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure work environment
- A team player who contributes ideas and feedback in a productive manner and pitches in to help projects move forward
- Willingness to occasionally work weekends and late nights
The strongest candidates will also be able to use proprietary and public data to report, uncover trends and make comparisons. Knowledge of Excel, Access or other statistical software and an ability to create simple, compelling charts and graphics is a major plus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Competitive salary and benefits.
Submit your resume, 3-4 clips and cover letter to email@example.com.