CGA is looking for a part time community organizer to join our anti displacement campaign and community wealth building initiative. The anti displacement campaign seeks to preserve and expand quality affordable housing in Southwest Brooklyn (Red Hook, Columbia Waterfront, and the surrounding area) by educating and organizing with residents and allies.
The community wealth building initiative works to create living wage job and asset generating opportunities for residents historically dislocated from mainstream economic development programs. Programs and organizing focus on worker cooperative development, merchant association formation, entrepreneur education, and broader community building events.
The organizer will work directly with the Community Planner to assist in resident and worker outreach, organizing info sessions and strategy meetings, and coordinate community planning workshops.
This position is 20-25 hours per week starting at $15/hour.
Advocacy & Community Organizing:
- Coordinate and implement door-to-door outreach to renters. Develop “Know Your Rights” materials for tenants.
- Build tenant power through leadership development and assist in forming tenant associations.
- Recruit child care workers to Southwest Brooklyn’s first child care worker cooperative.
- Assist in developing a 12 week worker cooperative training for worker owners.
- Grow the merchants association through outreach, engagement, and participation in monthly meetings.
Research & Policy:
- Learn best practices for researching neighborhood demographic, economic, and housing trends.
- Learn best practices for worker cooperative development, merchant association formation, and workshop and training content for entrepreneurs.
- Develop tenant organizing and worker cooperative development presentations for broader community education.
- Update CGA social media accounts.
- Write press releases, coordinate interviews with community members, and build relationships with media representatives.
- Learn about pitching stories, press cycles and communications strategy.
- Experience in community organizing preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for social justice and building power of low-income residents and communities of color.
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English fluency strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, communication, and group work skills.
- Interest in growing a career with CGA.
- Humility and humor.
About the Carroll Gardens Association:
The Carroll Gardens Association (CGA) is an affordable housing and economic development grassroots organization working in Southwest Brooklyn (Red Hook, Columbia Waterfront, and the surrounding area). We organize with low income residents, small businesses, and allies to advocate for equitable development, permanent affordable housing, and community wealth building policies. Our belief that local residents are the experts in the problems that face them guides our program design and direct service provision, prioritizing capacity building and leadership development. Learn more about us at www.carrollgardensassociation.com
How to apply:
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to Ben Fuller-Googins at email@example.com with “Community Organizer– YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your passion for movement building and why you are interested in working with CGA.